Transmission malfunction

Nevada1906

For any transmission experts out there:

My AOD refuses to shift out of First, and even pulling the shifter into gear takes a great deal of effort. It feels like I'm pulling something moderately soft apart when I take the shifter out of park, like, well, like I'm using dull scissors to cut through a gasket.

My theory is that something non-metallic, like a clutch pack, disintegrated, or is in the process of disintegrating, inside the tranny, jamming some or all of the valves in the valve body and preventing the trans from shifting.

I haven't pulled the pan yet.

I have the TCI rebuild kit, and all the tools, and am ready to go, but you all know how apartment complexes are about major mechanical work out in plain sight...

God, with all the gearheads out there that love working on their machines, but live in apartments, you'd think a multimillion dollar garage rental industry would've sprung up across the country by now. I hope I'm just not noticing what's out there.

I've gone over at least three different repair manuals, but maybe I missed something: Can a complete transmission rebuild be done with the case still in the car?

It looks like, if I read the manuals correctly, that all the components that can be jammed by a disintegrating clutch pack can be removed and cleaned (or replaced) without pulling the whole gearbox out of the car. Yeah, I'm aware of the risk of leaving the failing clutches in the car, but I just need to buy a myself few months here.

By the way, is there a way to completely flush out a tranny while it's still in the car?

Once again, thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back