bolt behind power steering bracket

91supacoop

how do people get to this one? in the past I have drilled a hole in the bracket large enough to fit an extension through there for direct access. Unfortunately i don't have any drill bits that large at my disposal currently.

its a pain in the a$$ but it can be done with diff tools.. but on my car thats the one nut i left out..... :rolleyes:

I use a 3/8 drive rachet with a universal joint on a deepwell socket and enough of an extension to clear the bracket. It's a pain and a tight fit but it works pretty good.

how do people get to this one? in the past I have drilled a hole in the bracket large enough to fit an extension through there for direct access. Unfortunately i don't have any drill bits that large at my disposal currently.

Be sure to throw it away once it has been removed.

i've never had an issue with that bolt. i use a deep well socket, universal joint, and an extension. have removed it about 6 times without any problems. i left the bracket on there for support, theres lots of shear force on those three bolts going into your head, it can only help with preventing you from lifting the heads. :)

pull the p/s pulley off, and then take that bracket off and toss it. Then you can easily get at the bolt in the future with the p/s pulley on.

With the bracket on, you may need to get creative.

i've never had an issue with that bolt. i use a deep well socket, universal joint, and an extension. have removed it about 6 times without any problems. i left the bracket on there for support, theres lots of shear force on those three bolts going into your head, it can only help with preventing you from lifting the heads. :)

It isn't going to help, prevent the heads from lifting.

David

Buy a power steering pump pulley puller.. its an essential tool IMO. If you can say it 10 times really fast, they'll give you a discount. :D

...throw it away once it has been removed.

I went to pull that bracket off a donor car in a junk yard, and winced when it dawned on me I didn't have enough tools to get at that one bolt with any force. When I tried to get at it with an open-end wrench, I discovered it was already loose - removed it with my fingers instead.

I commented out loud I was lucky the last person in there left it loose, and the guy working next to me said "Maybe now you know why the car ended up as a parts car...."

I went to pull that bracket off a donor car in a junk yard, and winced when it dawned on me I didn't have enough tools to get at that one bolt with any force. When I tried to get at it with an open-end wrench, I discovered it was already loose - removed it with my fingers instead.

I commented out loud I was lucky the last person in there left it loose, and the guy working next to me said "Maybe now you know why the car ended up as a parts car...."

Hmmmm, on second thought, maybe having removed that bracket is the reason my thrust went out the year before last? ;)

Get the P.S.P.P.P.

With it, you can remove the pulley in about 5 minutes (8 minutes if you have cold adult beverage during the removal).....:p

It will pay for itself the first time your use it.....:D

IMO - Keep the bracket on the engine.....

Ford put it there for a reason, right.....;)

thanks a lot everyone. a deep 15mm, with the U-joint and an extension got the job done. I just needed to go out and actually buy the deep 15, as mine had been lost at some point.

When it was all said and done I needed to remove the pulley and black bracket ANYWAY for something else :D

For removing the pulley, s standard 3 jaw puller wasn't working for me, and renting the RIGHT tool from autozone did the trick, definitely worth the extra time and effort. Made putting the pulley back on a breeze also.

thanks a lot everyone. a deep 15mm, with the U-joint and an extension got the job done. I just needed to go out and actually buy the deep 15, as mine had been lost at some point.

When it was all said and done I needed to remove the pulley and black bracket ANYWAY for something else :D

For removing the pulley, s standard 3 jaw puller wasn't working for me, and renting the RIGHT tool from autozone did the trick, definitely worth the extra time and effort. Made putting the pulley back on a breeze also.

Sounds like someone got themselves a twin screw :cool:

fire wrench time...

I did the first one the hard way and took out a couple of knuckles at the same time. The next one I cut a hole in the bracket and now you can get at the bolt with eaze and still have the bracket in place for support....Rich

I believe I paid about 30.00 for a puller/installer at VIP or Autozone. Well worth the money.

Back