Upshift and Check Gauges Light

sts70004

I noticed that my upshift light turns on when I turn on the car, so I know the bulb is good, but it never comes on when driving. And I did test to see if it was just because I wasn't revving high enough, but all the way up to 3500 it didn't come on. Didn't think much of it but I don't know if its an indication of something important. Also, I was getting a check gauges light for a tiny bit of an instant when driving, and last night it came on for about 2-3 seconds. I checked all my gauges and my VMM and nothing seemed out of the ordinary... The car didn't run any worse when that light was on. Could this be indicative of a problem?

I noticed that my upshift light turns on when I turn on the car, so I know the bulb is good, but it never comes on when driving. And I did test to see if it was just because I wasn't revving high enough, but all the way up to 3500 it didn't come on. Didn't think much of it but I don't know if its an indication of something important. Also, I was getting a check gauges light for a tiny bit of an instant when driving, and last night it came on for about 2-3 seconds. I checked all my gauges and my VMM and nothing seemed out of the ordinary... The car didn't run any worse when that light was on. Could this be indicative of a problem?

The shift up light coming up when starting the car usually means that either your Crank Sensor is bad or your Harmonic Balancer is on it's way out.

-Tim

Well what I mean is the car when you turn it to on, but not cranking. The light turns off when cranking. What I'm saying is it never comes on when I'm driving. And then like I said, a strange check gauge light phenomena.

If your just turning the key and it shows the shift up light thats pretty normal. If you're cranking and it comes on that means the HB or crank sensor is bad....

Sounds like all is good if I read the post correctly think it. Sorry for the confussion.

-Tim

Not sure what year of SC you have or if it's auto or manual.
My old 91(who's guts are now in my 89)aod's upshift light would come on in 3rd at over 4500rpm(if i remember correctly),3500 is no where near high enough,not even close to redline.
The check gauges light will come on if your fuel gauge is low
(possibly fluctuating)or your oil gauge is on the low side(most common)or you temp gauge is reading up past the N in N O R M,(near hot).
One of the 3 must be happening so keep a close eye on your gauges when it occurs,probably a bad oil pressure sensor.

Mines an 89 5spd. So I will keep an eye on it. When the check gauges light was on, oil pressure looked good, temp was good, and VMM didn't say fuel was low. I think it was a bumpy road and the car is stuck on firm (just need to look at actuators), so maybe oil pressure switch? Anyway, I'm gonna try the car up to almost redline without shifting I guess... I would've thought the upshift light would come on way before that.

my shift up light came on while i was doing 111MPH in 3rd gear cuz i forgot that i have in D not in (D)....plus i have topped out my speedo couple of times (with all 4 gears lol) over 124MPH and up shift light comes on around 120MPH ...i dont have 5th gear now wat should i do....lol...jus kidding....is it normal?

mine

my shift light work but never come on and my check gauge light is always on ever ever on would like to know why

i got a 89 5spd and my upshift light only comes on over 120mph!!! No matter the rpm.

Mine is about the same. I can go over 6,000 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear and the upshift light doesn't come on. But in 4th, it'll come on like clockwork at 115 mph (closed course & professional driver).

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Maybe we shouldn't call it an upshift light, but an "excessive speed" light

in a sense that's what it is.. Even thou if you can up shift to another gear, it'll shut off.. i think it's all about emissions and such..

it for sure isn't about when to up shift, like close to red line or for fuel economy, even thou the later would be cool :cool:

in a sense that's what it is.. Even thou if you can up shift to another gear, it'll shut off.. i think it's all about emissions and such..

it for sure isn't about when to up shift, like close to red line or for fuel economy, even thou the later would be cool :cool:

time to start reprogramming the computer...

time to start reprogramming the computer...

just find the signal wire which tells the ''upshift'' light to come on and put a switch there...whenever it comes on at high speeds just shut if offff...no programming needed:p (i know its not the smartest idea)

Back