over heating please help

dabs

ok, i conected the fan to run constant and removed the thermostat for the summer. its still over heating there is no mix of oil and coolant. i looked over the water pump it has blue thermaplex on it so i has been changed some time down the road but when i drive the car and come to a stop the over flow just bubbles over.

has any one else had this problem? and do they sell those test kits that go in the radiator for cheap and where do i get one?

this car has sat for a long time the more i drive it the beter it runs except the cooling part

if it was the dreaded head gasket how hard is it i cant afford a shop they want $510 just to change the water pump im laid off so i have time but not money, is there a spot that showes what it takes to do this job

i only got to drive this car a week i cant afford to throw it away and cant pay the 1200 for a head gasket job

please please help if its the head gasket could that stuff in a bottle get me through the summer i need to get to job interviews and such

>i conected the fan to run constant and removed the thermostat for the summer. its still over heating - when i drive the car and come to a stop the over flow just bubbles over.

I'm going out on a limb and saying I really wouldn't run it without a thermostat (I wouldn't rewire the fan either, but hey...). The t-stat helps keep backpressure in the heads so that they stay full of coolant (among other things).

Get the cap and cooling system pressure tested and if the car continues to overheat, I'd park it until I could learn better if it actually needs head gaskets. Good luck in any case.

ok, i conected the fan to run constant and removed the thermostat for the summer. its still over heating there is no mix of oil and coolant. i looked over the water pump it has blue thermaplex on it so i has been changed some time down the road but when i drive the car and come to a stop the over flow just bubbles over.

has any one else had this problem? and do they sell those test kits that go in the radiator for cheap and where do i get one?

this car has sat for a long time the more i drive it the beter it runs except the cooling part

if it was the dreaded head gasket how hard is it i cant afford a shop they want $510 just to change the water pump im laid off so i have time but not money, is there a spot that showes what it takes to do this job

i only got to drive this car a week i cant afford to throw it away and cant pay the 1200 for a head gasket job

please please help if its the head gasket could that stuff in a bottle get me through the summer i need to get to job interviews and such

reverse the fan wiring to stock and put the T-Stat back...and have some shop flush the cooling system and thats it....

the t stat out and you will continue to oveheat it has a few jobs one is to keep coolant in the rad long enough to cool it down Id look at the radiator how old is it is it clogging up to poor mantiance?

i'm thnking a leak somewhere. a test at a rad shop will tell you that. no doubt it won't be a simple fix.:D but put the t-stat back in it; and set the fan.

Take a look at the AC condenser....

The fins on them can sometimes get so mashed up it will not let air flow through to the radiator.....

On the other hand, you probably should take the radiator to a reputable shop to have it checked....

With the age of these cars, calcium build-up in the radiator tubes can be a problem.....

i will put it back in today i took it out because it was over heating and i cant conect the fan back up it came with it hooked up like this i tried to put it back but it doesnt work the fan never kicks on thats why its hooked up to always be on

Now im stumped!!!

hey peeps, i picked up a flush kit i have flushed radiator in the past using the heater hoses but on this car where the he!! are they how do i flush this system?

also the fins are not too bad theres only one spot it looks like a rock hit it, its not bad though the rest had a nice flow through

they didnt have the book at all 3 auto stores by me they can order one it says its for like a 89-94 all tbirds it dont say sc is that the right book? i found it on ebay cheaper if it is they want 22 bux to order it

the Haynes or Chiltons cover the thunderbird/cougar sc and all it will tell you most thing you have questions on and price ranges on these books are 15-20 dollars at the auto parts housrs autozone pep boys o'reilly's advance auto parts and soo on. That prestone stuff to flush the rad might work I've always just taken the rad to a shop for 50 or so dollars they clean and fix minor leaks if you got them

i looked around the forums and found most people did it behind the dis so thats where i did it, its all flushed i also used that bottle of flush out from prestone hopefuly it helped i dont feel the water pump is bad it had good flow so we will see thank peeps

i use to live in tx btw, miss it big time but cost down there compared to here are nuts it was 21.99 for a book here i miss the cost of living there and the specialty junk yards i lived in the dfw area this car wouldnt be so rusted if from tx!!! i got hosed on this car but i will resurect it

Last edited:

you should probably take radiator out and take to a shop if u can. the peace of mind will be worth it if the mechanic says radiator is fine, clean, and has no leak. you might flush some junk out that was holding a certain spot from leaking. on mine I can see a couple of green spots which tells me its prolly time. but I already have a raceware aluminum unit waiting to go in so no worries . just need to take to someone to do since I cant.

Back