one more thing brakes hard as hell some times

dabs

hi peeps.
some times my brakes work great others i have to slam them to the ground to just slow down. i looked around but theres no booster its a black ball i cant drive this car with brakes going out like this.. im taking that black ball is a wierd booster. is there something i can do with that usualy if its a master cylinder u loose breaks and there spongy this is flat out hard as h3!! to hit the braks i love this car but one mor hickup and im torching it! i dont mind odd and ends repairs that are basic maintenence but this is nuts!

thanks to all you guys or it all ready would be drove off a cliff me in it!

That black ball is a pressure accumulator. The system uses an electric motor to put brake fluid in that accumulator under pressure and when you apply the brakes some of that pressure is used to hep apply the brakes. The accumulator has a nitrogen filled sac that loses its nitrogen over time resulting in less capacity for pressure storage and intermittent hard pedals.

The solution is to replace the accumulator which is simple enough. The downside is sourcing a new accumulator and the cost. It's been a day or two since I last checked for a new accumulator so I don't know who's current in that regard. A search should turn up some leads.

thanks,
are they on any of the other t-birds or just the sc's i know there are a few lx and a ton of 3.8 at the junk yard

also are they hard to replace?

DO NOT buy a used one. Like I said, they wear out and need to be replaced roughly every 5 years or so. They also don't like sitting around discharged/uninstalled.

Installation isn't too difficult. Been covered a million times and a search will turn up some threads.

When you have the normal brakes, does the amber ABS light and the red brake lamp come on momentarily? If so, I would suspect the accumulator. If not, I would suspect the ABS relay. Both easy fixes to start out with.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SC's,i guess you'll be having a carbaque soon as these cars are very problematic.
When the abs relay,accumulator ball fail, you will only have manual front brakes.
The rear will not function at all and there will be no power assist,that's why it's so hard to stop.
It's more than likely the ball but you can pull abs codes from the abs diagnostic connector(not the engine one),if i remember correctly it may be under the hood or in the trunk.

Turn the ignition key on, but do not start the engine.....

You should be able to hear the ABS pump motor hum for a few seconds then shut off....

If you don't hear the pump motor, it could be the ABS relay (brown relay on firewall next to the hood strut) or the pump motor is shot (probably from a bad accumulator or a leaky pump shaft seal)....

You might get lucky and find an LX that had the ABS option.....

Don't bother trying a used accumulator, I am 0 for 7 in that department.....:rolleyes:

Prior Reman isn't selling them anymore......:(

I think SFI is selling them now 1-800-737-0915

thanks guys i did the key check and the pump came on so i went up to the junk yard

i know you guys said not to go there but funds are limited while unemployement pays the bills. any way i got the only one there off a lincoln mark ?? i think

any way pulled into my freinds house right by there who is having the same problem with his bonie and has the same sytem i believe this is called a teves system, any way i changed it out and i had brakes all the way home so it is the ball and i will buy a new one as soon as i get a chance

but withought this forum yes i would have had tbird-bbq i cant thank u peeps enough!

Back