Installing a shorter Condenser

Mike8675309

Installing the Shorter/narrower A/C condenser from the new product thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105458

Here I am installing the Parallel Flow version of the condenser.
Here is a view of the mounting location for the drivers side a/c condenser mount pad. With the shorter concenser, you won't be using this mount.

Here is where the rubber mount ends up with the shorter condenser. It fits on the bottom of the condenser, but sits against the pan bottom.

Here is the passenger side in it's proper location.

Unfortunately, there is a plastic air dam under the radiator header there that prevents the driver side upper mount bracket from sliding into place. You'll need to remove this and shorten it.

The plastic dam is retaned by plastic push pins. The easiest way I have found to remove them is to use a crimping tool. These have rounded areas at the nose used for crimping connections. These work good to slide under something and force the push pin out. Then you can pry a bit and it pops out.

Keep track of which side is which. Measure from the passenger side of the air dam down 12". And cut the extra off the drivers side of the dam. This will give you the clearance for the new upper mount location.

Once you make the adjustment, and reinstall the damn, you can put the condenser into place. Note that it will take some effort as the rubber mounts really hold things tight. I sprayed WD-40 on the mounts to keep the mounts from binding/pinching.

After installation, you will need to drill a hole for the drivers side upper mount, and lining up the passengerside.

To help line up the passenger side mount hole you may need to use a standard screwdriver and pry down on it to get the bolt started.

Drill the hole for the drivers side. Use a small bit first to get the hole started, than use the larger one. I used a 3/16" bit and found it to be too large. I need to now get a bigger bolt. So go at least one size down from what you think.
Finally, before you start you may want to clerance the drivers side bracket as the new location blocks the hole used to clip the harness back up.

Once done, it's installed and ready to go!. This condenser fits really well, much better than trying to use the Bronco II condensers.

Some good information Mike. I also got the parallel flow condenser for my 94 SC and when I get around to installing it I'm sure this post will help. It's been a few years now but I'm sure when I installed the AirCon condenser on my 95 SC I didn't have to do any cutting or trimming of the air dam. I can't remember the exact dimensions of the AirCon unit but I wonder how much difference there is compared to American Condenser's parallel flow version for our cars.

Last edited:
Some good information Mike. I also got the parallel flow condenser for my 94 SC and when I get around to installing it I'm sure this post will help. It's been a few years now but I'm sure when I installed the AirCon condenser on my 95 SC I didn't have to do any cutting or trimming of the air dam. I can't remember the exact dimensions of the AirCon unit but I wonder how much difference there is compared to American Condenser's parallel flow version for our cars.

The reason for cutting the air dam is so that the stock condenser mount can be used. If you leave the dam there, the condenser mount would have to pinch it very tight.

Also note, it's much easier to do with the radiator out of there. at a minimum you need to unbolt the radiator and move it forward. For auto cars, that can be a challenge due to the cooler lines. You'll also have to pull the intercooler out to move the radiator at all. If you go through all that trouble you might as well pull the radiator. Get a nice catch pan and catch the coolant so you can re-use it.

Back