PDA

View Full Version : stiff brake pedal

starmantv
05-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I havent driven my sc since 04' ,I have almost finished the restoration and drove it around a little. I noticed that I painted the electrical sensor on the frame rail(I guess for the brakes). Would that cause a hard pedal and my abs light to stay on?:eek:

Black89XR7
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
The hard brake pedal is probably from the abs accumulator ball. The sensor on the frame rail is a sensor for the arc. When you get on the brakes hard it senses it and flips the shocks to the firm mode.

the-big-e
05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Do a key on engine off test and listen for the ABS pump motor.....

It could be something as simple as the ABS relay on the PS firewall.....

starmantv
05-16-2009, 11:59 PM
can the ball just be unbolted and replaced?:D

KMT
05-17-2009, 12:42 AM
can the ball just be unbolted and replaced?:D

Yes. But you need to use a bit of caution.

A failed/depleted, supposedly de-pressurized accumulator can sometimes still hold enough pressure and fluid to spray in all directions. Be ready. Unscrew it slowly...wrap it at the base with a towel to catch any remaining brake fluid (the less you let escape, the less you have to wonder about when looking for leaks later). Keep brake fluid off the paint job and dirt/debris out of the open port. Do not leave the port open any longer than necessary.

When you install the new unit, be sure an o-ring is in place on the threaded snout on the ball. Spin it down and tighten it firmly...no need to torque or overtighten it.

I fill the reservoir to the top, screw on the cap, then turn the key on and wait for the pump to fill the new ball. When the pump stops, turn off the key and check for leaks.

Check that the fluid is at the correct level and test drive with caution. Do not allow the pump to run continuously or there is a risk of damage to the motor.

There is no need to bleed the brakes when just the accumulator has been replaced.

the-big-e
05-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Before you take the accumulator off, with no key in the ignition, pump the brake pedal firmly about 20 times....

This will help de-pressurize the accumulator ball.....

Brake fluid on painted parts is BAD.....:rolleyes:

1owner89
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Follow KMT and big e's instructions. It should be about a 10 min job. Easiest thing I've ever fixed on my SC.

dabs
05-17-2009, 05:05 PM
these guys know there stuff i had the same thing and a thread going here too and it was the ball! i now have brakes for how long i dont know as i got a used one but hard brakes are the result of that ball the bad one spewed out a nasty odor not sure what all thats about.

starmantv
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I forgot the golden rule , check your harnesses. there was a harness on the bottom of the abs unit unplugged.That is alot easier, brakes work great.:o

the-big-e
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Gotta love those easy fixes......:p