PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove the front subframe/shocks/spindles in one piece?

CaifanSC
05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Has anybody removed all those parts at once?

i'm taking parts off of my totaled 89...i want to keep the front subframe and suspension parts. I'm in the process of taking off the engine and probably rad support...so im wondering if once the engine is out i can unbolt the subframe and whatever else needs to be unbolted and get the stuff off the car w/o having to remove each piece individually.

any thoughts or sugestions or ideas from anybody who has done this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ddubb
05-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes you can remove it all, its just a LOT heavier with everything attached if you are trying to balance it on a jack or something.

- Dan

90coug
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I dropped one with the engine supported by a crane. Just unhooked the upper ball joints, disconnected the steering knuckle, unhooked the ABS sensors, power steering lines and sub frame bolts. It's been a while so there might be a few more steps. We were able to bring it down on the jack without much trouble but it will wobble if not careful.

CaifanSC
05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
awesome....thanks for the verification.

does anybody know what kind of bolts are used for the subframe? I think i recall them being a star shaped kind. I'd like to get an impact socket and have it ready before starting.

Tim Groth
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM

does anybody know what kind of bolts are used for the subframe? I think i recall them being a star shaped kind. I'd like to get an impact socket and have it ready before starting.

Just did this on my 5.0 to replace the oil pump...have pictures over on MAMN12.

14mm 12pt works just fine on removing the star bolts.

I dropped one with the engine supported by a crane. Just unhooked the upper ball joints, disconnected the steering knuckle, unhooked the ABS sensors, power steering lines and sub frame bolts. It's been a while so there might be a few more steps. We were able to bring it down on the jack without much trouble but it will wobble if not careful.

This is right on, only forgot the motor mounts.

-Tim

S_Mazza
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM

E18, I believe (inverted Torx)

MadMikeyL
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I've done this on a few cars. The best way is to disconect the engine wiring harness and fuel lines. Next remove the 3 bolts that hold the top of the shocks to the car. Now go under the car and disconnect the brake lines, abs sensors, and the steering shaft. Next put a trans jack under the front subframe to support it. Unbolt the trans crossmember from the car as well as disconnect everything for the trans, then with the subframe still supported on the trans jack, unbolt the bolts holding the subframe in the car. Now slowly lower the trans jack, and the subframe with the engine and trans still attached will drop down until it is hanging only on the upper control arms. Once it is hanging and all the weight is off the trans jack, remove the trans jack and lower the car until the subframe is sitting on the ground (or a dolly if you want to make it easier to roll around). Lower it just enough to take the weight off the upper control arms, then pop out the upper ball joint on both sides, and raise the body back up. You are now left with your engine, trans, front subframe, and complete front suspension except for UCAs sitting on the ground.

Jerry Britain
07-05-2010, 03:48 AM
If your interested, I have a complete 92 without the running gear. The body is very good, all the glass is good and the sun/moon roof is good. I want to sell it, cheap! I have the CA title (clear) for it.

Jerry