6G alternator ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I've heard a few people mention using a 6G alternator on an SC. What does that alternator fit (what car/motor) ? What needs to be done to the wiring and mounting on my 91 ?

David

That's a good question. I know my LX alternator wouldn't work on the SC bracket. I'll bet if you measure the depth and center-to-center distance between the mounting holes PA-Performance would be able to come up with something.

That series might come on the duratec taurus 3.0. I have had "some experience" with that motor, lately, and have come across some info regarding that alternator in relation to the duratec. They do come with 130 amp units. There are two versions of the alternator: 3rd gen's do not run through the PCM, while 4th gen's do run through the PCM. I have a 3rd gen sitting on the floor at work if you would like some measurements and/or photos. I would be glad to provide those.

I am assuming that this is the alt you are talking about. And I do know what happens when I assume.:p
Let me know if you need anything.

benny

I've heard a few people mention using a 6G alternator on an SC. What does that alternator fit (what car/motor) ? What needs to be done to the wiring and mounting on my 91 ?

David

I believe you would need to upgrade the output from the alternator significantly. I highly doubt the stock wire is up to handling the amperage that a 6G can put out. I would upgrade to 6gauge cable.

I want to upgrade my alternator now that I'm likely to have a bunch of fans, a pump, snow system, fuel system etc... plus a decent radio.

6G's are awesome and the mounting is the same as a 3G.
I have on on my 87 5.0L and it is the same style mount.
I don't believe they would fit an SC as a 5.0L alternator will not.
The 6G does not run through the pcm on newer cars(Chrysler only) it is internally regulated just like the 3G.
They where on everything in the 2000s as far as i can remember but the one that fits the 5.0L's comes of the mustang 3.8L's.

I believe you would need to upgrade the output from the alternator significantly. I highly doubt the stock wire is up to handling the amperage that a 6G can put out. I would upgrade to 6gauge cable.

I want to upgrade my alternator now that I'm likely to have a bunch of fans, a pump, snow system, fuel system etc... plus a decent radio.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here Mike. The output from the 6G is only 130 amps (some say its really about 110-120) but either way it's not going to overwhelm stock wiring. The stock alternator wire on an SC appears to be at least 6awg but might be 4awg already.

I have installed this alternator on an SC. It fits ok but there are a couple issues/things to be aware of.

1) Make sure you get the harness plug with it as they are different and you'll have to splice your wires.

2) The main battery lug is on the opposite side of the alternator. Damon said he reclocked the housing, but when I tried to do this the alternator I got was stuck together so hard that I was afraid of breaking something. I was able to re-route the stock wiring so that it would reach with relative ease so I had no problem with that.

3) The top mounting hole may or may not be tapped depending on what the application was I guess so you may have to find a bolt/nut to put on the top.

4) In my case the car had UD pulleys and required a shim behind the pulley. This is not really any different than an SC alternator depending on what year it was for so this isn't really an issue at all.

Normally an SC with UD's seems to put out about 13v at idle but this one seems to be more efficient at low rpms putting out 14.4v. Other than that don't know much about it but it seems fine so far.

To fit the 6g alt just do what 3.8 Mustang guys do to fit their alt onto the SC Brackets. Just some grinding of 2 spots to accomodate the larger size of the alt. The mounting points line up well with just a spacer or 2 needed on the top mount.

Make sure you get a 6g out of a 02+ 3.8 mustang as that one is sure to work and grab the pigtails out of the donor car as well.

I can't speak to what wiring to change because I just used my stock 98 alt in the SC bracket so no wiring changes were necessary.

No, you are talking about a 3G or some other alternator. The 6G doesn't require any grinding. It's smaller than a stock SC alternator. I just put one on last week.

6G front view...

6Galternator01.jpg

6G back view...

6Galternator02.jpg

wiring diagram...

6G-ALT_wiring_GRY.gif

another...

6G-ALT_wiring_WHT.gif

connection views...

6Galternator03.jpg

6Galternator04.jpg

>The output from the 6G is only 130 amps

At idle under full load, sure...but we're talking about a 200 amp unit.

Mike is correct - 10 GA wire/cable as an example is not large enough to handle 130A in an engine compartment. A wire swap to 6GA is a common mod, written up frequently when adopting this/larger alternators to older/other cars.

One example: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/07/6GAlternator/ (step 9)

If you're considering the 6G mod, do it right and be sure you get your amps worth out of the change over :)

Last edited:
The factory wiring is fine. I have been running this alternator for over a year with no issues. Keep in mind factory is 110 amp. Its not liek going from a 65amp fox alternator to a 130 amp 3G.

As been mentioned they are shown to be 110-130amp in ratings. I have heard both. This may hav esomething to do with how they are rated.

The posative is smaller then a 3g...More efficient..More amps at idle even with UD pulleys//And it requires no grinding and looks factory.

As Dave said I reclocked mine. A plastic hammer ill help with separation. You can also just rerun the wiring. If you do that the little L bracket behind it can even be refitted

Dave what size shim did you use? After doing my heads and cam I have a belt alighnment issue and noticed no shim behind pulley...So I'm wondering if I just lost it somewhere.

Anyway guys..I wouldnt even thing of a 3G at this point:O)

>The output from the 6G is only 130 amps

At idle under full load, sure...but we're talking about a 200 amp unit.

Mike is correct - 10 GA wire/cable as an example is not large enough to handle 130A in an engine compartment. A wire swap to 6GA is a common mod, written up frequently when adopting this/larger alternators to older/other cars.

One example: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/07/6GAlternator/ (step 9)

If you're considering the 6G mod, do it right and be sure you get your amps worth out of the change over :)

Guys, I just looked it up because you are driving me nuts. The stock SC alternator wire is 6awg. It's plenty big enough already.

Damon, it was a small shim, maybe .060". The pulley runs pretty close to the case. Without the shim it just rubbed. I haven't driven it much though so I'm not sure if it may have issues down the road. For now everything looks fine but I did not get a straight edge and check it to the mm.

No, you are talking about a 3G or some other alternator. The 6G doesn't require any grinding. It's smaller than a stock SC alternator. I just put one on last week.

Dave or Damon,

What car/motor does the 6G needed for an SC come out of, or better yet where can I buy it and the wiring pigtail ?

David

I'm not sure what you are talking about here Mike. The output from the 6G is only 130 amps (some say its really about 110-120) but either way it's not going to overwhelm stock wiring. The stock alternator wire on an SC appears to be at least 6awg but might be 4awg already.

I saw the reference to PA-Performance and immediately thought 200amp. Oh well

Good to hear it might fit.

Guys, ... you are driving me nuts.

Believe me, the feeling can be mutual. One point here is for people that have already modified things. Saying "stock" is fine but it's more useful to specify the gauge you want then add that it's the stock size already.

Folks forget that often you can't just swap parts and hook them up and just be happy.

FYI - the car Dave was talking about is my car. I'll be happy to take pictures of the install if anyone is interested and post them up.

Now back to my search on fuel pump wiring upgrades. :)

FYI - the car Dave was talking about is my car. I'll be happy to take pictures of the install if anyone is interested and post them up.

Now back to my search on fuel pump wiring upgrades. :)

Paul,

Please post the pictures, because I'm still planning to get a 6G installed over the winter. I'm also ditching this ~~~ optima red top battery.

David

Back