PDA

View Full Version : Should i do it? trade sc for mark viii

Pacman
05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I have the opertunity to trade my 210k 93 sc for a 95 mark viii both have darn nere perfect paint.

95 mark viii lsc 142k
new tires
no squeeks or rattles
all options
in dash dvd
cd changer
no squeeks no rattles everything works flawlessly
kinda ugly color some dark pearl crap but good paint

93 sc 210k auto
20k on engine lots of mods
new exhaust system
leather sunroof all options
tranny shudders going into OD badly
always runs too hot despite fan mod and 180 thermostat
lots of squeeks clunks and thunks
40% tires
cracked exhaust manifold drives you nuts
sunroof started leaking last rain but always keep it in the garage
rear seat top cracking
driver seat as split seam
steering pulls a little to the left

I like the looks of the sc alot more and have alot of time and money in it BUT i have alot of driving to do and it seems that i cant drive it anymore than a week without somthing breaking. The mark has ALOT more power than the SC and is completely bone stock 1 owner trade in. It rides alot better handles alot better and is alot more comfertable. Would i be kicking myself in the butt for trading? any cons of the mark i should know about? I have another sc so i wouldnt be without one. I want a car i can put 700 miles a week on comfertably with relatively low maintnence. Any input would be appreceated! thanks

89tird
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a 93sc and a 95sc and my dad has a 98 mark viii. In stock vs stock my 93 was faster, the 98 is more comfortable though and still has good power.

I like the look of the sc better, but the mark viii seems more reliable.

I would keep the sc just for looks.

Dangle
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Trade it. Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the Mark besides you don't like the colour. If you find later you made a mistake, you can always trade it in for another for sub-par SC. The only thing iffy (?) is you have put a bit of work into your motor. That you have decide. The one lincoln I had got some serious gremlis around that milage, but at the end of the day they are both very cool cars, and once done, you will have one of each...Life is too short Do IT!! 280HP, all motor, you know you want to:D

Pacman
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
It just seems like the sc is not a good dd car for a long commute anymore. It used to be but last few years it sits broken more than it gets drove. It likes to eat my money! It makes me mad that a stock luxury car 2 years newer will rape my modified supercoupe. I wish i had the mark viii interior drivetrain suspension etc with a sc body that would be sweet.

SuperCharged91
05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
To be honest the Marks feel faster when you ride in them but that lincoln is most likely not faster than your supercoupe. especially if its stock. Sometimes supercoupes just feel like dogs but they really arnt.

Pacman
05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I dunno i dont see how it couldnt be faster? 290hp stock! only thing i noticed the sc is stronger off the line but once it gets going the mark accelerates alot better.

esw0001
05-19-2009, 03:48 AM
I have a 90 XR7 and a 94 Mark viii. The cougar wins on takeoff, but the Mark hangs in there and then some over 3 grand. Essentialy the same suspension wise- other than airbags, unless you ditch them like mine.

superdadsc
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
If it to be a DD I would take the Mark VIII. On the other hand if you want to do High Performance stuff to it I would stick to the SC. I have a 93 Mark VIII that is mint w/ 87k, I am the second owner. Can't do a lot with them. Exhaust, and when you do they sound awesome (Bullits!), you can change the gears(4.10) and get a nice tranny/TC and a good tune and chip.With that you should have a rock solid 14.0 sec car. You can SC it but it's big money and you can't boost it to much w/ the stock block.

The SC has so many options and things you can do to it that it will make your head spin. And because of that you always want to tear her down and do something to her! At least I do. Never happy with stock, thats hotrodding!

I love my Mark, but I will be getting rid of it at the end of the summer to get another SC! I don't drive much so if it is down it doesn't matter and I really miss the 5spd! If the Mark had a 5spd I wouldn't get rid of it.

Ultimetly the SC should have come with a forged 4.6 and a blower with a 5spd option!:D

Stephen

Pacman
05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I noticed today when i drove past the mark that the rear airbags are deflated is this a sign of a problem or do they tend to bleed down over night?

thundermax
05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
I have had 2 mk 8s, one was 94 other 97. The first gen is definatelly quicker, and feels more agressive overall. Other then common air ride and alternator problems it's a pretty reliable car.
In your situation, if you want a more reliable car then do the trade; but if you had a nice sc with not many problems then I would not trade it for the mark 8

As far as the air ride, make sure that you inspect it really good. If one side of the car is sitting lower overnight then you have a leak, which means that in most cases you will need 2 airbags and the compressor is probably getting weak.
I worked at a lincoln dealership and this is a costly repair (if you intend on fixing the air ride), or you can do coil spring conversion which is around $500

Pacman
05-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Both sides were deflated after sitting 24hrs

thundermax
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Ok, then there are problems with air ride for sure. It could be something simple, but I would assume the worst.
Most likelly all the airbags are dryrotted and the compressor is worn out.
If this is the case then you would be better off doing the coil spring conversion. Again without seeing the car we can't properly diagnose it, but from what I've seen it's probably the bags dryrotted.
Does the car come back up after you start it?

Also you said that your sc has shudder going into OD; I had same problem with my mark 8 (which is also very common on them), I flushed the trans fluid and added synthetic anti-shudder additive from the dealership and the shudder was completelly eliminated.