Lean/rich

Motohead

SCCoA Member
I got a set of 50lb injectors flow tested today one was a little rich and one was a little lean (compared to the others) My question is, which cylinder tends to be the leanest running and which tends to be the richest ? (so I can install them accordingly)

I have NO IDEA, but I would like to know, as I am about to put on a set of 60's and would like to do the same thing that you're thinking of doing.

I think cylinder three and four are the cylinders that tend to blow headgaskets, so if it was me, I would put the richest injectors in those cylinders. But if I remember correctly from both the looks of my combustion chambers and spark plugs the leanest cylinders were at the back of the motor and the richest were up front.

>one was a little rich and one was a little lean

But they were within spec otherwise, right?

Whoz to say they won't swap those particular attributes when run for extended times in an engine at full operating temp. Or what about any of a dozen other variables that are either unknown and/or out of your control that MIGHT work to offset any effort made to demand-match them based on very minor/rich lean characteristics that barely show up on a bench.

If they are out of spec, replace them. Don't worry...yet - be happy :)

Last edited:
If they are within 5% of each other I think it is, then just throw them in the car and go and enjoy the darn thing.

The tune will be set up to average them out to not be a concern at a 11.7 AFR. If you tried to tune in the injectors for each cylinder (which you can't in our EEC's) you'd go insane.

Fraser

If they are within 5% of each other I think it is, then just throw them in the car and go and enjoy the darn thing.

The tune will be set up to average them out to not be a concern at a 11.7 AFR. If you tried to tune in the injectors for each cylinder (which you can't in our EEC's) you'd go insane.

Fraser
With 10 & 18 year old girls and no mom I went insane quite a wile ago:)
Frasher thanks a bunch for the tune. With the last minute change to the 50s and loosing 2 days getting them tested the QH tune will have to wate until next weekend as my 18 year old prom queen graduates tonight and I'm taking my family to the lake house for the long weekend. I know you worked late/early :) to get me the tune back so fast but once again life intervenes .

they are within 5% I figured if there are known issues because of intake/head design I would follow suit. On Stiegemeyer's injector flow bench they came out around 48 see attached

Attachments

• red car injectors.pdf
    325 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
No problem.... keep me posted on how things work out for you.

Insane.... yup, you gotta be insane just to run an SC at times :D.

Fraser

#3 is going to be leanest and #4 is going to be richest. Whether or not <5% makes any difference is hard to say but it can't hurt.

Really, I gotta try that... I've got a bunch of magnaflow stickers I could try, any ideas how much each one of those will get me?:D

Fraser

Nothing. Exhaust doesn't count. You need to get the air in first. Use the stickers from FRAN Filters. :rolleyes: :p

Ira :D

Really, I gotta try that... I've got a bunch of magnaflow stickers I could try, any ideas how much each one of those will get me?:D

Fraser

Depends on the "Coolness level" of the sticker but I’ve herd clams of 2 tenths

Your actual gains may vary

Back