PDA

View Full Version : Ford 1: GM 0...I'm in the 13's!

QuickMustang
05-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I ran a 13.96 at 100.42 MPH today at dragway 42. It was about 70 degrees outside. I was pretty happy because my previous best was 14.1 at 98 mph. I made a few tuning changes, added a CAI, and learned how to hold second gear with the 1 - D - 1 shift.

I pulled in right next to a 1999 Buick Regal with the 3800 supercharged with an M90 engine. I ended up beating him by about .3 seconds on one of my worst runs of the day. He kept talking trash about how to tune my engine. He said I should be running about 12 (instead of the 24 that I am at) degrees of timing and that 14 psi of boost is way too much. He said that lower boost is better and that he has been working hard to get his boost lower. So yes, he was kind of a tool, but it was still fun to beat a similiar GM. He also claimed that his IAT temps get up to around 500 degrees. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I guess our intercoolers are pretty effective. He also had about $6000 total in to his car compared to my $4000 (including the cost of the car and the engine rebuild) and his car looked like a complete ~~~.

Well I'm pretty happy with 13.9s for about $4000 that I drive to work every day. I raced 7 times today and won all 7 races! That puts me at 15 and 2 on the year. When I find my camera cable I post a picture of the time slip and the matching numbers on the car.

thunderkid84
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
what have you done to the sc to run that time ?

mywhite89
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
These cars have like 26 degrees of timing and 14lbs of boost from the factory. I'm sure this guy is smarter than the ford engineers though. Good job on putting the whooping on him.

First mod I would do on my buick if I wanted to modify it, is an intercooler. Their M90 blower is not spun as fast as our SC blower I beleive, hence the need for our factory intercooler. If it was, there would be major inlet heat problems.

Chris

QuickMustang
05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
what have you done to the sc to run that time ?

Basically just the mods in my signature. The supercharger, 10% pulley, and IC fan let me take about 1 second off my original. Other than that it has been tuning changes, E85 mixed gas and learning how to drive that has allowed me to get in the 13's...I started at 15.1 then added the Magnaport blower, pulley, and fan to get me to 14.1...

90blkbrd
05-21-2009, 01:39 PM
learned how to hold second gear with the 1 - D - 1 shift.

It's called shuffle shifting and it's bad on the transmission.

QuickMustang
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
It's called shuffle shifting and it's bad on the transmission.

Really? Why? Is there a better way to hold 2nd gear? It shifts at about 4800 rpm without it and my motor pulls till about 5400...

90blkbrd
05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Really? Why? Is there a better way to hold 2nd gear? It shifts at about 4800 rpm without it and my motor pulls till about 5400...

I don't remember exactly, but when you do that it engages the OD band for a split second or something like that.

Have you dyno'd your car to know it pulls to 5400? Have you made back to back passes trying 4800 and 5400 to know your car is faster that way?

QuickMustang
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
No, I haven't dyno'd it, but yes I have made back to back passes with just the shift change being the only difference...I cut about .4 seconds off my ET...With that kind of time difference I will probably take my chances on eventually killing the OD band on my Trans...If I blow it up, I have a good excuse to upgrade to a full Lentech Tranny!

nickleman60
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Congrats on reaching the 13's. I'm hoping the '89 in my sig will run in the 13's. The nearest track around is an 1/8 mile and my best there without traction is 8.8 which isn't bad for bolt-ons and no tune. On the conversion chart it says that's a 13.75 in the 1/4 but until I actually run the quarter who knows...............:rolleyes:

90blkbrd
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Just an update on my post above, it's the reverse band not the OD band. Pulling the shifter from 2 to 1 right away is worse than waiting a few seconds and pulling back into 1. But both are not good for a stock AOD. There is a sentence or 2 about this in one of the recent Mustangs and Fast Fords in an article about switching to a manual valve body.

My old SC just got a Lentech valvebody and I wish I would have put one in the day I purchased the car. Very fast and very firm shifts and you can shift 1-2-3 and lock out OD. No AOD car should be without one. :)

David Neibert
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes there is a better way. Get a Lentech street terminator valve body with electric OD delete (calibration #2). Having it will allow manual upshifts or downshifts for 1st-3rd (hold gears as long as you want) and it will also shift itself. Locking out OD is also very useful on the track or the dyno.

David

QuickMustang
05-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes there is a better way. Get a Lentech street terminator valve body with electric OD delete (calibration #2). Having it will allow manual upshifts or downshifts for 1st-3rd (hold gears as long as you want) and it will also shift itself. Locking out OD is also very useful on the track or the dyno.

David

I just can't justify putting that kind of money into an AOD with 120,000 miles on it that could be on the virge of blowing up soon anyway. The B&M shift kit really firmed up the shifts to the point I'm happy with it. So if I destroy my transmission by shuffle shifting the few times I go to the track, I'll build a replacement with a Lentech valve body...

kenewagner
05-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I just can't justify putting that kind of money into an AOD with 120,000 miles on it that could be on the virge of blowing up soon anyway.

I put a lentech valve body in my old AOD. It had 145,000 miles on it. It was one of the best mods I ever did. Made the car feel like a performance car rather than a grocery getter. I sold that tranny to another guy who put it in a SC and it is still running strong

Ken

QuickMustang
05-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I put a lentech valve body in my old AOD. It had 145,000 miles on it. It was one of the best mods I ever did. Made the car feel like a performance car rather than a grocery getter. I sold that tranny to another guy who put it in a SC and it is still running strong

Ken

My tranny actually shifts hard with the B&M shift kit in it. Actually if anything it shifts harder than I would prefer for my daily driving, so I don't need a Lentech for that. The only thing the Lentech would do was eliminate my need to shuffle shift, which the B&M shift kit claims that it makes it so I can manually hold the gears anyways (although I don't really believe that after reading this). I know the Lentech valve body is sweet, but the B&M gave me firm shifts at a fraction of the cost. If the transmission blows from shuffle shifting, then I'll put a Lentech tranny in it and never have to worry about tranny problems again. Until then, I'll take my chances rather than dumping money into a high mileage transmission...

XxSlowpokexX
05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
AOD with stock non manual valvebody without shuffle shifting = DAAWWWGGG

I alway sshuffle shifted and I dont care what happened.!

Of course a manual VB will take care of that

QuickMustang
05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
AOD with stock non manual valvebody without shuffle shifting = DAAWWWGGG

I alway sshuffle shifted and I dont care what happened.!

Of course a manual VB will take care of that

I agree completely...Someday I would like the manual VB, but I'll have a better rebuilt transmission for that...