Stand alone engine controller.....wiring help

91supacoop

I have standalone engine controller mounted in the front passenger side of my engine compartment, near where the stock air induction system was.

I would like to know the closest, easiest location for:

1) An ignition signal to wake up the controller.
2) The coil side of the stock fuel pump relay to close the relay during Key on.
3) Tach wire to cluster.

Also, Where is the stock temperature sensor for the cluster located?

I have standalone engine controller mounted in the front passenger side of my engine compartment, near where the stock air induction system was.

I would like to know the closest, easiest location for:

1) An ignition signal to wake up the controller.
2) The coil side of the stock fuel pump relay to close the relay during Key on.
3) Tach wire to cluster.

Also, Where is the stock temperature sensor for the cluster located?

1) There is a heavy wire from the ignition switch that is hot in start and run, that should do it for you. It is red and black on mine. May be different colors on yours, but red and black is pretty standard for what it does. If you have or can get a test light with a real pointy tip that will help you find out, just poke the wire. But don't stab your finger, it's easier to do than you think :(
2)Fuel pump uses a wire from the Integrated Relay Control Module that is activated by the PCM, then sends power to the pump. Don't remember which one, and the Ford service manual has never been right for me on the wire colors. Use a multimeter to look for continuity between the power wire at the pump and a wire at the IRCM.

Be careful that no feedback goes to that fuel pump wire, as it goes to the PCM for the fuel pump diagnostic monitor, if your car is so equipped.

Nevermind. Use this. Again, no feedback.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddggmvgmoxn

This is all assuming you are working on an early SC. What controller are you using?

I did the fuel pump today....tomorrow on the agenda is ignition, stock tachometer, stock temperature gauge and stock oil pressure gauge.

Anyone have any pointers on how to get my tach signal from my controller to the cluster tach? Anyone know what pin off of the PCM feeds to the stock tach?

Also, where are the sensors located to provide temperature and oil pressure to the stock gauges...I would like to plug these particular sensors in, and then cut away the rest of the harness that I do not need.

Anyone have any pointers on how to get my tach signal from my controller to the cluster tach? Anyone know what pin off of the PCM feeds to the stock tach?

Also, where are the sensors located to provide temperature and oil pressure to the stock gauges...I would like to plug these particular sensors in, and then cut away the rest of the harness that I do not need.

Oil pressure is only for the gauges. The sensor is on the mid right (if you are facing the motor) of the engine block next to the water pump and above the oil pump. Single wire. Stock sensor just says I have pressure, or I don't have pressure, not how much. Some cars have a resistor in the wire to the cluster to bias the signal that needs to be removed if you use a proper pressure sensor.

Dash temp comes from the sensor mounted on the thermostat housing. (EEC temp is from the sensor on the intake manifold.)

RPM is pin 36 on the EEC.

Much of this information is available both in the tuning forum in the members area here, as well as wiring diagrams available in various books and online sources like www.alldatadiy.com. I just happen to know the above off the top of my head.

::Follow up::

::Follow up::

A good ignition signal to wake up the controller is from the IRCM. I peraonally used it right out of the IRCM in the Passenger side front corner of the engine comparment to run all of my relays. It is a red wire, and easy to check for with a meter and a friend to turn the key.

Regarding using the coil side of the relay to power the pump....screw that. Use a new relay with substantial sized wire to drive the pump; directly. If you put in nice big wire you will never have to replace it in the future...it'll be adequate for anything.

The tach signal wire is beige or tan with a yellow stripe. It is on a 20 pin yellow or black connector that comes through the passenger side of the firewall along with all of the other PCM wires. If you have an aftermarket controller and would like to use a Tach output from that controller to drive the stock tach....use this wire.

The stock temperature sensor for the cluster is located near the T-Stat housing. it looks like the threaded end of a bolt. If you cut yourself on something near the T-Stat housing, you have probably found the temperature sensor. It looks very like the pressure sensor for the oil gauge. if you know what one connection looks like, you know what the other connection looks like.

Back