PDA

View Full Version : seatbelt motor switch

Lycaon1349
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
anyone know where the drivers door mounted switch is or know of a writeup on how to get to it? everything else seems fine but the motor still only works going open and i had heard that the connectors sometimes get knocked out causing it to think the door is open all the time

Duffy Floyd
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Are you asking about the "Door Ajar" switch?

Just replaced one in my 92. Seat Belt would not retract with the door closed. You can "make" it retract by removing the single wire connector going to the switch which creats an electrical open and tell the system the door is closed. The switch is located inside the door by where the latch mechanism is. Part is still available from Ford. Cost me $21. Held in with a single phillips head screw. Has to be rotated partially to remove.

jonroe
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Duffy,

Similarly, in my case, the passenger door seat belt will not go forward when I open the door. I think the motor is fine as it works once in a great while. Are limit switches the problem in this case? How do I find out?

Jon

Duffy Floyd
05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Do you "get" the Door Ajar light indication on the dash when the door is open? It would seem to me the switch could fail open or shut. If it fails closed then the belt won't retract. If it fails open then the belt won't extend. If you aren't getting the proper "Door Ajar" indications dependant on door position that would seem to me to indicate it is the "Door Ajar" switch causing your problem. If you do get proper indications then it could be a limit switch condition causing your problem.

texashurst
05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
are you talking about the motorized track that run around the top of the doors? If so I think it has a belt type system in it with a gear I've always replaced the whole unit when they fail. That was on my saturn. No problems with the bird yet.

Duffy Floyd
05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes we are talking about the passive restraint seatbelt system but in this case it is a nylon toothed belt that is moved by a geared motor and it has external and internal sensors that control its movement.The "Door Ajar" switch has proven to be problematic on my 92. Last driver's side switch lasted 2 years....also replaced passenger side over the winter.

texashurst
05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
mine a 91 and no problems yet hope not to have any either. I know things break but that just a rumor I hear.

Lycaon1349
05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
yeah i have the door ajar indicator lit up when the door is closed, the motor allows the clip to extend but wont retract when the door is closed, i have the rear panel off with the motor manually wound retracted and unplugged that way i can just clip in the belt and have use of the shoulder belt

Duffy Floyd
05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
You can plug the motor back in and disconnect the connector at the switch and "do" the same thing. Also if your door chime is ringing it will shut that off too.

jonroe
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you "get" the Door Ajar light indication on the dash when the door is open? It would seem to me the switch could fail open or shut. If it fails closed then the belt won't retract. If it fails open then the belt won't extend. If you aren't getting the proper "Door Ajar" indications dependant on door position that would seem to me to indicate it is the "Door Ajar" switch causing your problem. If you do get proper indications then it could be a limit switch condition causing your problem.

Duffy,

In my case the Door Ajar light does NOT come on when I open the passenger door and the belt does not move forward. On the driver's door all is well, the Door Ajar light does come on and the belt moves forward. So, it looks like the passenger door switch. I don't follow you about how to get at the switch and change it. Can you give me more info on how to do it? Thanks. Jon

Duffy Floyd
05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Jon,

This thread details what you are asking.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85884&highlight=door+ajar

jonroe
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Duffy. I guess I'll give it a try. Is it not too hard to get the door panel off? I do have the Service Manual. Is there any chance that one might spray cleaner and or lube around the top of the latch from the outside that could free up a stuck switch that is still okay electrically? Jon (lazy)

Duffy Floyd
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
In my experience the switch is "semi-sealed" and it is doubtful that you can free it up especially if you don't remove it. It is the contacts inside the switch that seem to fail not the "plunger" part.

Door panel is easy....one screw to the rear of the courtesy light in the lower panel, one screw on the inside trim by the mirror, remove the panel with the window switches (may be screwed or clipped dependant on model year) and door cup (two push pins at the top)and don't forget the screw by the center of the handle section on the door. Lift the panel upward to disengage the tabs holding it.

The real trick is getting the panel back on correctly with all tabs engaged and the door lock "post" through the hole in the panel.

txsc
05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
...The real trick is getting the panel back on correctly with all tabs engaged and the door lock "post" through the hole in the panel.

A quick tip: Before trying to hang a door panel, I remove the manual lock knob, and install a long (approx. 12") section of appropriately sized vacuum line on the lock rod. This will let you fish the vacuum line through the lock hole in the door panel first. The vacuum line will then act as a guide for the lock actuator rod as you're trying to align the top of the door panel with the inner beltline weather strip, and hit all the panel hooks on the door sheetmetal. Negates the need for a third hand.

After the door panel is home, just pull off the vacuum line, and screw the knob back on. Works like a charm...

JD