This Weekend Is It!!!!!

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
This weekend I'm FINALLY going to put my rebuilt motor, performance goodies, and low miles 5-spd in the ole' black SC. Although it's only been about 2 years since I drove the car, I've been waiting for this for over 4 years!!!! Hopefully my back doesn't start acting up again and further delay this momentous occasion!:D

I'll finally have a car that I'll be glad to take to the shootout, dragstrip, wherever! Maybe after this weekend I can stop saying "When I get my new engine and trans in my car...." :D

Anyways...I'm pumped :D:p:):cool:

This weekend I'm FINALLY going to put my rebuilt motor, performance goodies, and low miles 5-spd in the ole' black SC. Although it's only been about 2 years since I drove the car, I've been waiting for this for over 4 years!!!! Hopefully my back doesn't start acting up again and further delay this momentous occasion!:D

I'll finally have a car that I'll be glad to take to the shootout, dragstrip, wherever! Maybe after this weekend I can stop saying "When I get my new engine and trans in my car...." :D

Good luck. Keep us up to date on your progress;)

Ken

I hope to get the engine and trans in at least most of the way by Monday...hopefully before too much longer, it'll be moving...then I can start pretty-ing it up too. :) AND...then I can go ahead and get my QH, etc! I've been putting off on buyin all the tuning/datalogging stuff until I have a fun engine to mess with.

I'll take some before pictures of everything to document the work, but I gotta warn you all - it's a pretty dirty boy right now. :eek: I'll have to scan my parts list that I've been adding to in the past 4 years too. Once I'm finished, I'll add up the total cost, then throw up. :D Nah, it shouldn't be too bad...been on the "buy-it-cheap" budget since day one, but haven't been willing to sacrafice quality parts.

I've been waiting for this for over 4 years!!!!

Wow! I would get inpatient not putting that in after a month...4 YEARS? You must be pumped. I hope it's all you hoped for and more. What sort of perf. goodies are we talking about for this re-built motor?

Good luck dude.

Yeah...it's been a long wait. I finally knew the time was getting close when I started becoming uninterested in the "Parts For Sale" forum. :eek:

It's not going to be one of the Whipple or AR cars by any means - I hope to use it as a semi-daily driver. I've got a Magnuson S-port blower, raised top, MP inlet, 75mm Professional Products TB, 76mm MAFS, homemade aluminum 3" intake tube, double IC (to be upgraded to a custom FMIC at a later date), I did some port work on the intake manifold (porting around the inlet, and gasket-matched and smoothed all runners), home-ported heads with 3-angle valve job, .520 lift reground cam, 94-95 windage tray, 42lb injectors, adjustable FPR, 255lph hi-pressure fuel pump, b&m short-throw, spec II clutch, aluminum flywheel, 3.27 rear gears, aluminum stock-size pullies, 5% OD jackshaft pulley, 5% OD SC pulley, AC delete, ported exhaust manifolds, dual 2.5 exhaust w/ dynomax superturbos, and a NOS sticker. I think that's it...but probably not. :D The next phase will be the suspension / brakes, but I can do that piece-by piece if needed. Someday I may think about an MP3 or MPX...but hopefully I'll be happy with the change for a few years :p

Hey Matt,

Good luck with the install man...I'm actually going to be out of town this weekend or I would stop by to lend a hand, can still do so next weekend if you need a hand on finishing up whatever, would be happy too!

I'll give you a call later....

Jeff

Hey Matt,

Good luck with the install man...I'm actually going to be out of town this weekend or I would stop by to lend a hand, can still do so next weekend if you need a hand on finishing up whatever, would be happy too!

I'll give you a call later....

Jeff

Appreciate it Jeff! :)

I'm hoping to get the big work done this weekend, but we'll see! Finally...I won't have an excuse huh?! ;)

Sounds like a good solid combo, that should be great on the street and run some good numbers at the track too. Take your time and do a good job of sealing everything up and zip tie or clamp all of the vacuum hose connections. Leak test your fuel system before installing the supercharger.

David

Sounds like a good solid combo, that should be great on the street and run some good numbers at the track too. Take your time and do a good job of sealing everything up and zip tie or clamp all of the vacuum hose connections. Leak test your fuel system before installing the supercharger.

David

Thanks for the tips...it's easy to get excited and forget the little things. I did take some "before" pictures, but they're on my phone, so I'll have to see if I can download them at home and post them. So far, I haven't had as much work time as I had hoped, but it's a mess in my dad's garage with the old engine and trans out of the car, and the new engine, trans, and parts all over the garage...so I can't stop now. Which was my plan all along... :D Maybe in the next few days I'll at least have the new motor and trans sitting in the car.

David, I read a thread awhile back about pulling the motor and trans together, rather than separate - is that how you'd done it before? I was thinking that you recommended doing it that way. Anyhow, that's was I ended up doing. I thought I might be able to leave the custom exhaust and driveshaft bolted up (except the obvious), but that didn't work out, I had to unbolt the driveshaft to get the motor/trans up high enough to pull it forward. It did work quite well, and saved alot of under-the-car work, which is less fun! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips...it's easy to get excited and forget the little things. I did take some "before" pictures, but they're on my phone, so I'll have to see if I can download them at home and post them. So far, I haven't had as much work time as I had hoped, but it's a mess in my dad's garage with the old engine and trans out of the car, and the new engine, trans, and parts all over the garage...so I can't stop now. Which was my plan all along... :D Maybe in the next few days I'll at least have the new motor and trans sitting in the car.

David, I read a thread awhile back about pulling the motor and trans together, rather than separate - is that how you'd done it before? I was thinking that you recommended doing it that way. Anyhow, that's was I ended up doing. I thought I might be able to leave the custom exhaust and driveshaft bolted up (except the obvious), but that didn't work out, I had to unbolt the driveshaft to get the motor/trans up high enough to pull it forward. It did work quite well, and saved alot of under-the-car work, which is less fun! :)

I've done it both ways, and I think it's a little easier to only remove the motor.

David

Now I knwo why those poly bushings lasted so long..ITS BEEN ON JACKSTANDS! hehehe

harharhar... Actually I guess that's part of why they've lasted 4 yrs. :p The car hasn't been PARKED for four years though...I've just been accumulated parts for four years. :) I guess it's been parked for around 2 years. It started right up and ran just fine when I moved it last Friday. Kinda makes me sad to take out the original motor and trans...no telling how long it could have lasted now. :(

Well Damon, I guess those diff bushings will get a good testing now...maybe then I'll say "Damon was right - these are junk!" :D

Miserable Update

Awesome...

I was getting ready to drop the new motor and transmission into the engine last night when I noticed that I hadn't put a heat shield on the knock sensor...plus I planned on checking it to make sure it was an 89 or earlier part number (the new engine was in a 93) so I took the knock sensor, shield, and well out of the old block, cleaned them up, and went to take the new engine's sensor and well out.... the sensor came out just fine and it was a 93 part number after all, so I was probably doing the right thing regardless of whether the heat shield is necessary or not. I then started to take the 93's sensor well out, but it wouldn't budge. So, I cranked on it a bit harder since I figured it was pretty tough...and it snapped off inside the block!!!! :eek::mad::(

I had my dad help me try using an EZ out and then heating up the surrounding material for several hours to no avail. Man this sucks! After all I've had to go through to get this new motor in, it's one little thing holding me up! It always ends up like this! It's always the last bolt that stripped, breaks, or you just can't get to!!

So, as it stands, I have the broken well drilled through (so that the easy out could get in far enough to get a bite). I hate "easy" outs by the way... In my opinion they're useless unless 1) you're lucky or 2) the bolt / screw broke while tightening, not trying to remove. So anyway, I think it's going to be dremel tool to the rescue AGAIN. I'm going to kill that old well and add it to my "parts of shame" box. :D:eek:

PS - I've read that some people have had problems with buying replacement knock sensors. If it helps anyone in the future, the 89 and 93 knock sensors have different part numbers AND different threads. Consequently, the wells have different inner threads also - the 93's are larger, making the well itself, weaker. So, be careful with 93+ wells - they're not a strong as they look. Looking on the brightside - at least the motor is on the floor, out of the car for me... :rolleyes:

Alright, I've got the well out...I'll post some pictures of what's left of it. :cool:

I ended up drilling / cutting the entire thing out. After about 12 hours...I was able to put the new well and knock sensor in. The threads in the block were only the slightest bit boogered-up, but straightened out very nicely. WHAT A RELIEF! So, now the engine is in and the easy stuff may begin! The car *should* be running this week! :D

Remember the firing order! I've messed up twice because I listened to the manual which is wrong.

I don't know what I usually use, but it's always ended up being correct. Which manual is wrong again? (Factory Service Manual, Haynes, other?)

Back