Securing oil dipstick

pablon2

When one can no longer utilize the OEM method of securing the dipstick tube to the block one must become creative. Originally, I just zip tied the tube to the master cylinder, but found that over time the tube worked loose because the master cylinder is attached to the engine bay and not the engine. So, I had to contain the mounting points to the engine itself. Here is my solution. I hope it works. I'll give you one guess as to what the gray gunk is. :)

Attachments

• DSCN3409.jpg
    DSCN3409.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN3410.jpg
    DSCN3410.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
When one can no longer utilize the OEM method of securing the dipstick tube to the block one must become creative. Originally, I just zip tied the tube to the master cylinder, but found that over time the tube worked loose because the master cylinder is attached to the engine bay and not the engine. So, I had to contain the mounting points to the engine itself. Here is my solution. I hope it works. I'll give you one guess as to what the gray gunk is. :)

They make this part called an O RING that works;):D

Ken

They make this part called an O RING that works;):D

Ken

Yep, keeps oil from coming out of the block, but what about when you go to check your oil level and there is no bracket holding the tube to the block? The oring won't help in that situation. ;)

Yep, keeps oil from coming out of the block, but what about when you go to check your oil level and there is no bracket holding the tube to the block? The oring won't help in that situation. ;)

Your bracket is useable. It looked like you have some gray stuff at the base to use as a sealer. Thats what I was looking at. If I am wrong it wouldnt be the first time;):D

Ken

Your bracket is useable. It looked like you have some gray stuff at the base to use as a sealer. Thats what I was looking at. If I am wrong it wouldnt be the first time;):D

Ken

The header bolts I am using don't allow for use of the OEM bracket, besides, the bracket broke off. :p Oh yes, there is gray RTV on the block. The gray gunk I was referring to though is on the tube itself.

I had the same issue even with the bracket re-welded.

I just used some safety wire and wrapped above the small lip above the o-ring, and wrapped the other end around one of the torqued oil pan bolt head.
No JB Weld needed since you twist it to tension like a turn-buckle once both ends are secured.

Sort of like a figure eight, and twist the middle to tighten it.

It's holding solid as a new one.

Back