New stainless exhaust on my 93 SC (pics included)

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I've always hated the job those clowns at forced fab did on the exhaust system they built as part of the custom turbo system. A tear in one of the pipes because of a half azz job on attaching a hanger, gave me a good excuse to have it all redone in stainless. Dan Saitz at Hyperformance did the work and is the same guy who built the stainless exhaust system on my 91 SC.

The only part of the old exhaust system he re-used was the polished stainless magnaflow 3" muflers. It's a 3.5" single pipe from the down pipe coming off the turbo (also 3.5" stainless) to just past the diff where it splits into dual 3". When removing the old system Dan noticed that where the old mild steel exhaust system made the split from single 3.5 to dual 3", the idiots who built it actually used a 3" Y and then an adaptor to go up to 3.5", so all this time I've actually been restricted to a single 3" opening. So it may even pick up a little more power :cool:

Here's some pictures.

David

Attachments

• tbird1.jpg
    tbird1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 296
  • tbird2.jpg
    tbird2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 327
  • tbird3.jpg
    tbird3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 308
  • tbird4.jpg
    tbird4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 301
  • tbird5.jpg
    tbird5.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 319
Looks great..How much did that run you?

I don't know.

I'll find out when I pick up the car Friday morning. Won't be nearly as much as the 91 because he wasn't removing and installing headers or supplying the mufflers, and I omitted some of the v band connections.

BTW I'm just trying to do my part to help the economy...that's what I told my wife anyway :D

I don't know.

I'll find out when I pick up the car Friday morning. Won't be nearly as much as the 91 because he wasn't removing and installing headers or supplying the mufflers, and I omitted some of the v band connections.

BTW I'm just trying to do my part to help the economy...that's what I told my wife anyway :D

Looks great David.

-Tony

I would definately like to have a set of stainless headers and an exhaust for my car!

Over the past couple years, Dan has rebuilt/replaced nearly all of the turbo system's hot side plumbing with mandrel bent stainless. Only parts that remain mild steel are the headers. When they start cracking I'll have them redone in stainless too.

BTW, Dan took it for a test drive yesterday afternoon and he said it got sideways at 80mph..:eek:

David

I ended up picking it up at lunch today. Looks better in person than the pics, but hangs a little lower between the diff and rear bumper cover than I wanted, but it's much higher than what I had. Sounds a little better too.

David

Very Nice. I would have to go from 5 to 7 days a week picking up cans to just pay for the materal.

but hangs a little lower between the diff and rear bumper cover than I wanted,

At that height, I'd be scraping the bottom of the mufflers on the ground when I pull in and out of my driveway. but it sure looks nice. Nice long weekend coming up for you to go out and enjoy it.

...but hangs a little lower between the diff and rear bumper cover than I wanted, but it's much higher than what I had.

David

Is that because of the 3.5 center section Dave or just the height the guy welded it at? Looks great...just like the last job on the other car.

Is that because of the 3.5 center section Dave or just the height the guy welded it at? Looks great...just like the last job on the other car.

I think it was mainly because he was more concerned about it flowing as good as possible on this car. The 3.5" pipe was extended past the diff before making the split to dual 3" to avoid making extra turns with the pipes, which resulted in it hanging lower to clear the diff than a pair of 3" pipes would.

I think the way it was done on my other car looks a little better, but this one probably flows a little better. I would have rather had a 4" single pipe but that would have been difficult to get past the fuel tank and would hang very low in the center of the car.

From everything I've read and from conversations with the turbo mustang guys, it should be large enough to support over 800 rwhp with my combo.

David

Last edited:
Back