PDA

View Full Version : bypasing supercharger

tjvjr
05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
this is something i should know - is it possible to bypass supercharger on 90sc?i ask because i found one for sale and the owner said it was there,worked fine,just bypassed because it created too much power.they said a mechanic did this for them,and would be simple to reverse. i would like to know how to make sure its not a bearing or something more serious.on mine without the belt it would just idle.

sts70004
05-22-2009, 01:39 AM
My supercoupe is running without the supercharger currently, and mine does way more than idle. My jackshaft bearing has gone out and was causing some slipping, so I took of the belts, and I've driven it around before, even on the highway once. It just was a little slow, but didn't run badly.

sts70004
05-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Oh forgot to add. If they bypassed the supercharger, they probably just tied the bypass valve closed and removed the belts.

kenewagner
05-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Oh forgot to add. If they bypassed the supercharger, they probably just tied the bypass valve closed and removed the belts.

You mean open, right;)

Ken

Mercutio
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
bypassed because it created too much power.

I would like to meet this person. I'm not doubting your story, I'm just amazed that there's someone out there who would buy a supercharged car and then get so freaked out about its output that they actually pay someone to bypass the blower.

tjvjr
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I would like to meet this person. I'm not doubting your story, I'm just amazed that there's someone out there who would buy a supercharged car and then get so freaked out about its output that they actually pay someone to bypass the blower.

yea the ad said that it was there mothers car and they had to do this for her to drive it.......possible?i don't know.i thought id check it out.so basically i just take belt with me and check the bypass valve?

ScrapSC
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
LOL!!! Sad!!! Not like the cars put down numbers like the time my dad bought my mom the Chevelle with the 396!!! She tried to say the same thing, "it has to much power"... Dont push the peddle down so far then!!! LOL