PDA

View Full Version : high temp

starmantv
05-23-2009, 04:24 AM
The water temp rises past the mid point during normal driving . When It sits at idle it goes almost to the red. I just rebuilt this engine and dont want to do it again.:eek:

BuRHan90SC
05-23-2009, 06:41 AM
ur fans coming on? if not then check ur coolant temp sensor....hows ur t-stat? check these basic things before doing anything big....also DTCs will be helpful in case..

mine stays in the middle while driving but goes to M during sitting idling but fans comes on and cools the motor down then needle goes back to the middle..

Pacman
05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
T-stat replace it with a 180degree.. I have the low-speed fan mod and STILL ran hot even replaced the radiator cap. Did the thermostat yesterday and it hangs at N with the A/C on

the-big-e
05-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I would look at servicing the radiator.....

These radiators don't have very much extra cooling capacity, so if there are any restrictions inside the radiator (or in front of the radiator blocking air flow) this could cause an overheating problem.....

fturner
05-24-2009, 04:27 PM
T-stat replace it with a 180degree.. I have the low-speed fan mod and STILL ran hot even replaced the radiator cap. Did the thermostat yesterday and it hangs at N with the A/C on

Unless you get a chip in the car and have the tune adjusted to accomodate the 180 tstat, I'd venture to guess your fuel mileage is going to suffer ;). I can think of a few other things that will be affected in the tune.

Also, before everyone gets on a rant about how hot these cars are based off of that joke in the dash, go get a real temp gauge and see the real operating temperature before you start butchering the car like that fan mod. You may be surprised. For now, if nothing has been touched and all is working with the fans, when it comes on (excluding with the a/c) is 220F unless the car has been tuned otherwise.

Fraser

lube70
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Get the radiator serviced (cleaned by a radiator shop)...had this problem on my car many years ago and the newly clean radiator cured the problem.

Don

Pacman
05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Unless you get a chip in the car and have the tune adjusted to accomodate the 180 tstat, I'd venture to guess your fuel mileage is going to suffer ;). I can think of a few other things that will be affected in the tune.

Also, before everyone gets on a rant about how hot these cars are based off of that joke in the dash, go get a real temp gauge and see the real operating temperature before you start butchering the car like that fan mod. You may be surprised. For now, if nothing has been touched and all is working with the fans, when it comes on (excluding with the a/c) is 220F unless the car has been tuned otherwise.

Fraser

My car would spit antifreeze out the overflow. it was getting VERY hot runs much better than it did with 197 t-stat. Still gets 26mpg runs ALOT stronger idles better and is more responsive.