steering rack play ?? VIDEO

Inner tie rods appear to be shot. They can be replaced without replacing the entire rack though if your exisiting rack is leaking you might as well do the entire thing.

nope steering rack not leaking, ps pump is whiny though.

so just 1 inner tie rod should fix it ?? how hard are they to replace ?

I had just a single side done when one of mine went out. David Dalke did that work for me. Looked pretty reasonable as far as difficulty is concerned but he did it on a hoist as opposed to off of jack stands. You will need an alignment when the work is completed. Could destroy the tie rod end trying to get it disconnected from the spindle so be prepared.

Do a search as this is a subject detailed multiple times before on the board.

cool thanks, I just went to autozone and bought one.

I replaced the shocks and springs not too long ago and didnt do the alignment so when I change this tie rod ill get it done.

thanks again!

Good idea to check for any other worn parts that need replacing while you are working on it. Add a little Marvel's Mystery Oil to the PS pump and it should quiet it some.

I just finished replacing my lower and upper control arms and stabilizer link.
Took it in for tires and an alignment.
They told me I need inner tie rod ends.
It now has a lot of play in the steering that wasn't there before.
Are inner tie rod ends easy to replace or are there some adjustments I can do to make this like it was before the alignment.??

Do a search as this is a subject detailed multiple times before on the board.

There is no real adjustment other than the length of the tie rods which ends up adjusting toe on the front end of the car. If the inner tie rods are shot you will have play. Replace them.....it is also a safety issue.

Thank you for that info.
They want 200 bucks to do it at the shop.
Since I did the lower and upper control arms myself, in comparison, how difficult are the inner tie rod ends?
Also, I only find outer ends available at rockauto...

Do you have part numbers?

forgot to update

My problem was the inner tie rod just like duffy said. Changed it in about 30 minutes.

Jacked up the side of the car, removed the wheel, loosened the nut that holds the outer and inner tie rod togheter, removed the cotter pin and nut of the outer tie rod, unscrewed the outer from the inner, took the boot and vent tube off the rack, got the special tool my friend lend me, (could be rented at autozone I think)and didn't even remove the rivet. It sheared off with the torque since its aluminum anyway.

So that went easy no more play, the only thing is that my steering wheel is not perfectly centered anymore its off a lil bit so I guess I counted the threads wrong??

Even if you count the turns, it will still not be correct. I have done quite a few of them. You will need an alignment. I would get it done sooner than later.

Thanks, that saves me from removing it again.. need to find a good alignment shop I refuse to take my car back to sears

Back