PDA

View Full Version : 10% od pulley and exhaust?

sb94supercoupe
05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
my supercoupe is completely stock. i was looking for the best bang for the buck performance for my car. i know the stock exhaust is really restrictive so i was thinking about the catless downtubes from supercoupe performance for $165. that should free up the exhaust cause the cats are very restrictive right? after i do that i should be able to get the 10% supercharger od pulley for $85? it seems that would be the best move but im not too sure.

backtobirds
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM
The exhaust is awful. The biggest restriction will be in you mufflers and the resonator. I put a cat-back on a V6 LX and it was a noticeable difference. Not huge, but since I drove it all the time I could tell it was different. The cats probably won't help you by themselves. Ford uses the honeycomb style, which is the high flowing kind. I am using some Magnaflow cats on my MPX setup. The 90 degree bend before the one cat is the biggest problem. I would do the catback first.

10% seems to be the smallest pulley the stock M90 likes to run before it gets too inefficient.

sb94supercoupe
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
The exhaust is awful. The biggest restriction will be in you mufflers and the resonator. I put a cat-back on a V6 LX and it was a noticeable difference. Not huge, but since I drove it all the time I could tell it was different. The cats probably won't help you by themselves. Ford uses the honeycomb style, which is the high flowing kind. I am using some Magnaflow cats on my MPX setup. The 90 degree bend before the one cat is the biggest problem. I would do the catback first.

10% seems to be the smallest pulley the stock M90 likes to run before it gets too inefficient.

Well the downtubes that scp sells run from the exhaust manifold to a little before the resonator, so that would remove the 90 degree bend your talking about as well as the cats. I don't want to change the resonator and mufflers because thats how you end up sounding like some ricer car.

thunderkid84
05-25-2009, 12:17 PM
the resonator is the worst restriction in the stock system. followed by the cats. get the downtubes from scp and then look for a 2.25" dual in/2.5" single out resonator (flowmaster, magnaflow, dynomax). the stock mufflers are fine until later down the road.

do u have a 94 SC ? i would say get a 5% pulley and try that first. the late model superchargers came with a bigger factory pulley than the early models. 5% od on an early model sc is about 7 or 8% od on a later model. so i would do a 5%. i hope u get what i mean.

then for about $30 go to, i think its siliconeintakes.com and get a 8" intercooler fan from them.

nickleman60
05-25-2009, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=sb94supercoupe;816713 I don't want to change the resonator and mufflers because thats how you end up sounding like some ricer car.[/QUOTE]

The resonator is the biggest choke point on a stock exhaust, look at the exit of it and you'll see it looks like a hour glass or a woman with big boobs, tiny waist and big hips.......................:rolleyes:

You're better off leaving the stock downtubes and replacing the resonator if you're only going to replace one thing.