raised top.... IC piping?

k_schutte

The SC i just got came with a "raised" supercharger outlet. Not a really nice aftermarket one from a vendor or anything like that. it had about 3" added to the height and of course now my upper I.C. pipe witll not work. So i was thinking either have it cut a little shorter or just go with some standard I.C. piping for the top piece. Only thing is (this is dumb, i know) I really like the look of the stock upper pipe.

Would it be best to just replace all the stock piping with aftermarket 3" piping or would that be a waste of money.

list of mods:
20K on re-built (not stock ) motor (by some big place in Moline, IL)
P&P'd square port M90 (from the 94-95 SC's)
Walbro 255
Venom 42#ers
BBK 75MM T.B.
C&L 76mm MAF
Hypertech chip
custom shorty headers
dual intercooler (two stock ones welded together, quite common)
custom "high rise" outlet plenum (about 3" taller than stock)
10% S.C. pulley
5% Jackshaft pulley
8" 1550CFM fan (for the intercooler)
3.27 gears (its a 5-speed)
SCP Rear Torsional Load Brace
SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace Kit
Cold Air Intake

Last edited:
Dumb question but have you verified & test fit the new parts? I have a raised top with stock IC pipes and they work just fine. I'd bet that with some loosening of the IC and other components you can make it work.

Just go with a stock top and the stock IC tubes. Your no where close to maxing those out flow wise.

Fraser

never heard of a 3" raised top, thats pretty big. are you sure its 3" ? theres no way it fits under the stock hood.

another question.....what is that hypertech chip doing for you ? are you able to reflash the EEC with it ?

Yes, everything works other than the upper IC pipe...
It does clear the stock hood, as for the top itself. The guy had a "spacer" CNC'd and had it welded to the top. Some other work was done to it as well but more or less thats what it is.

I don't have any stock parts, just what came with the car.

I will probably try to tinker with it more but it seemed pretty dang far off...

heres a pic of the top: Don't mind the filth, the car has been sitting for about 8 years now. Put some fresh gas in the tank and it started right up though so that was pretty sweet. After I put the SC, intake, and all that other good stuff on.

as for not needing it, I am sure i don't NEED it but neither do a lot of people running them. I have it so I am going to use it is basicaly what it comes down to i guess. It looks like i might be able to get the stuff to work, the lower pipe wasn't tightened all the way and angled wierd so that might give me the movement i need. I will find out tomorow. If not I am just going to order some 3" IC piping and do it that way... Once i get it runnign and driving for a couple weeks to make sure she is good I am going to start cleaning stuff up and get that "spacer" looking better as well as teh rest of the engine bay

back story on teh car: The guy had the motor rebuilt (not a stock rebuild) at some place in Moline, IL (wierd name, don't remember it) about 20K miles later the supercharger went so the guy parked it and started pulling stuff off and ordering new stuff. Got married, had kids etc... and never got it put back together. So i got the car with boxes of new performance parts to put on. fresh gas in the tank, and an oil change and the 'ole girl started right up!

Last edited:
that thing is a monster ! theres someone selling a stock top in the for sale forum right now. get that and it will take care of your problem. won't have the hassle of trying to bend and cut all new 3"' pipe.

dont put that hypertech chip on it after its all running. please don't....

P.S> is it me, or are the wires coming from the coil pack routed totally wrong ?

Last edited:
If not I am just going to order some 3" IC piping and do it that way... Once i get it runnign and driving for a couple weeks to make sure she is good I am going to start cleaning stuff up and get that "spacer" looking better as well as teh rest of the engine bay

Whats up with the 3" pipe:confused: Way bigger than needed and trying to reduce down to 2.5" DBL IC is just silly in my opinion. How are you going to connect to the IC?

Ken

I am a metal Fab. at All State Steel... I can TIG alum. no problem

As for the stock, If i had one here it would already be on. I need to get this running/driving ASAP and waiting a week for a part to get here is not going to help.

As for the 3" pipe, I was going to make an intake using the 3" so figured I might as well use the rest for the IC pipes. I had actualy planned on using 2.5" for the IC piping itself. I am just going to see if i can get the stock tubes to hook up or not and go form there. If all else fails i guess i will just have to wait for a top to get here (if i can find one)

well, the local yard wants $175 for the S.C. top they have... Well, they won't sell it seperate from the S.C. because they think they won't be able to sell the S.C. if that part is not there. Funny thing is the car has been there since 2001 and they haven't sold a single engine part so ~~~? Iowa yards are a damn joke!

I guess i am looking for a stock one, hoping to spend $20~ shipped? 94-95 supercharger

Last edited:
well, the local yard wants $175 for the S.C. top they have... Well, they won't sell it seperate from the S.C. because they think they won't be able to sell the S.C. if that part is not there. Funny thing is the car has been there since 2001 and they haven't sold a single engine part so ~~~? Iowa yards are a damn joke!

I guess i am looking for a stock one, hoping to spend $20~ shipped? 94-95 supercharger

Send me a PM I have one for $25 shipped.

-Tim

I was about to say, I could get you a stock top for real cheap even from here in Canada LOL!

Go that route. You have an unknown in that top, and if its slightly warped in anyway you could have a problem that will want you to drive the car over a cliff as alot of you yanks seem to want to do .

Either get your yourself some of the teflon gaskets available or use the orange rtv to seal the tubes up.

Start from a base known and once all is good build from there.

Fraser

PM Sent, paypal ready....

As for the wires, I haven't got that far yet, just trying to throw the rest of the engine together before i mess with teh "little" stuff. As for the "routing" do you just mean the way they are run or that they are hooked up to the wrong cylinders. to be 100% honest when i got it the 3 front plug wires where dangling and i just slapped them on the coil to get them out of the way. there was a short, long and middle lenghted one so i just did them that way to keep them from getting mangled.

PM Sent, paypal ready....

As for the wires, I haven't got that far yet, just trying to throw the rest of the engine together before i mess with teh "little" stuff. As for the "routing" do you just mean the way they are run or that they are hooked up to the wrong cylinders. to be 100% honest when i got it the 3 front plug wires where dangling and i just slapped them on the coil to get them out of the way. there was a short, long and middle lenghted one so i just did them that way to keep them from getting mangled.

Here ya go............

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89549&highlight=spark+plug+wire+diagram

Back