PS Cooler Needed

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
I'm thinking about deleting my power steering cooler and lines...I'm sure it cools the oil several degrees, but it just doesn't seem like it would help very much.....any opinions?

Whenever you can, measure the temp of the PS fluid. It should stay below 180 degrees. If it's near that temp I wouldn't delete the cooler.

I'm in the exact opposite situation. I routinely boil over my PS fluid while autocrossing and plan on adding the biggest cooler that will fit. There's nothing like getting halfway through a slalom and having the wheel refuse to turn because all the fluid has boiled out!

The PS cooler doesn't just cool.

In addition to the amount of PS fluid the rack and pump hold, it adds an additional quantity of PS fluid via what it, and the lines to/from it, contain.

Get rid of the PS cooler & lines and you also reduce the amount of fluid lubricating and cooling your system.

I've been running without one for years now without issue. While I do enjoy pushing the car through the corners on the back roads, I've yet to autocross that one.

I've been running without one for years now without issue. While I do enjoy pushing the car through the corners on the back roads, I've yet to autocross that one.

This is the type of driving I expect my car to see most of the time. I'm aware that it will reduce the capacity of the PS fluid...probably by about 5-15% maybe? I'm just not sure that this is really enough to matter for a daily driver...but on the other hand, there is a possiblity that I might autocross it once in awhile (like once or twice a year), so I'm not sure. Mainly, I'd love to have those lines out of the way - they're good at catching dirt and grim :p

Back