PDA

View Full Version : Is my tranny gone

roworld
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
First off I have a 1990 5sp supercoupe. Yesterday I the car in reverse and started to backup after about ten feet I floored it I had a little wheel hop but when I tried to put it in first I noticed that it was stuck in reverse so I yanked on it a little now I have nothing. The shifter is stuck in place. I removed the shifter(its old and worn) and I did see any fluid. Could my problem be lack of fluid or is the tranny gone?

the-big-e
05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
It is possible.....:confused:

I would add the correct amount of fluid and see if it helps....

It sounds like your shifter might be worn out as well.....:rolleyes:

sinhumane
05-26-2009, 06:07 PM
havent heard of that type of failure in them. maybe you bound up the synchro? the shifter bushings could be giving you an incorrect angle and not shifting properly.. try rebuilding the shifter...

and why the hell are you flooring it into first from reverse? you were just asking for problems.

TbirdSCFan
05-26-2009, 06:11 PM
and why the hell are you flooring it into first from reverse? you were just asking for problems. My thoughts exactly.. only I wasn't going to say anything. When you slam an old worn out drivetrain around, things break. I mean, what was he expecting to happen? At some point, common sense must prevail. :rolleyes:

Young-SC-Owner
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
My thoughts exactly.. only I wasn't going to say anything. When you slam an old worn out drivetrain around, things break. I mean, what was he expecting to happen? At some point, common sense must prevail. :rolleyes:

Quote of the year

Tim Groth
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Mine got stuck in 3rd gear...thought I broke a shift fork, but when top was remove I had a stuck syncro....sounds like they are worn like mine were and caused the problem.

Gotta watch them reverse burnouts, they'll get ya everytime!:eek:

-Tim