PDA

View Full Version : breaks

fossilman
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
i need ideas on how and or which parts to use to swap out the stupid hydrolic break system and if this is possible at all please i have the hard pedal and e break light and abs light is on i can stop but i have to lean on the pedal please anything will help

DrFishbone
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah..I'm getting ready to do this myself. Sounds pretty simple! and CHEAP!

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&highlight=abs+conversion

brandywine11297
05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
have you checked the relays and the ignition switch mounted on the steering column. that was my problem. easy fix too.

DrFishbone
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
have you checked the relays and the ignition switch mounted on the steering column. that was my problem. easy fix too.

Those are both very good places to look - I've had both cause loss of braking in my cars. Fortunately, I still have both cars...it's just not worth the risk to me - I'd rather have something that I feel is more dependable and easy to inspect.

the-big-e
05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I bought one of my parts cars from a guy who said it had no brakes.....

Got it home, put a new relay in it and then it had brakes....:D

I'm gonna assume that that you have an 89 - 92 SC.....:rolleyes:

I'll bet the pump motor has failed for some reason....:rolleyes:

A bad pressure switch can cause the pump motor to either not come on, or run continuously until it gives up....:mad:

Or (my favorite) the front seal on the pump motor has failed and allowed brake fluid into the unit, causing corrosion and eventually locking it up.....:mad::mad:

Do a KOEO test and see if you can hear the pump motor humming.....

birdlessmuz
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
would the ignition switch being bad cause the loss of brakes?? my ignition starts my car and as soon as i let go of the key to quickly the power cuts out.

the-big-e
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
It could be.....

Sounds like my silver 92 5 speed.....:rolleyes:

You have to turn the ignition switch to start.....

After it turns over a few time, gently release the pressure on the switch and the engine will fire off and run like normal.....

Release the pressure on the switch and the engine dies.....

Try driving this bad boy around.....:eek:

It takes three hands....

One to steer, one to shift, and another to hold the ignition switch in the perfect spot to keep the engine running....:p

This SC is scheduled next in line for some needed repairs.....:p

TinManSC92
05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
i think that would put me in the red zone on the patience meter. i'd be calling it a day and driving that bad boy right off a cliff.:D:D

brandywine11297
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
i was lucky on 2 counts when my ignition switch messed up. 1. mine is an auto and 2. it wasnt far gone to where i had to hold the switch in the perfedt spot. $15 part, $200 worth of hell to change it. lol

the-big-e
05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
i think that would put me in the red zone on the patience meter. i'd be calling it a day and driving that bad boy right off a cliff.:D:D

It really isn't too bad to drive, so long as you keep it in first gear......:p

DrFishbone
05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
would the ignition switch being bad cause the loss of brakes?? my ignition starts my car and as soon as i let go of the key to quickly the power cuts out.

When my ignition switch messed up, various electrical items wouldn't work, like the turn signals, for one, and a little later I found that the brakes wouldn't either! Basically, the contacts that turned on many (but not all) of the electrical devices would not connect, therefore, the car was driveable, would start fine and everything, but the ABS, etc. never got any power. :eek: I found out as I was getting off the interstate around a sharp 180 turn! :eek: