PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel/Clutch ???

BArtkowsky
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Ok so im about to replace the clutch here within the next two weeks. I got the car all jacked up in the air. The clutch is waiting to be picked up at work. I havent started pulling anything apart yet. Ive never had the tranny out of this car and i hear it can be a b*t*h. My question is about the flywheel. When the clutch went out it sounded like something metal shattered apart and i dont know if the flywheel is damaged or not yet but tried to price a new one to get an idea and all they seem to sell is the ring gear, except for SCP that wants 200 some bucks for a performance one. Anyone know of anywhere i could get one cheaper if it ends up needing one? Its a 1992.... Also any tricks on getting the tranny out easier?

Thanks,

Brandon

JACTcoupe
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I beleave summit has them for around 50-70bucks. The tranny isn't bad. I just pulled mine out. The 3 key thing I had problems with is.
1. Drive shft. You got to drop the dif down to have room to pull it back. But that only 4 bolts.
2. Slave Cylinder quik disconnect. There is a tool you should get with the Clutch Kit. It can be a pain.
3. 2 top bolts you need a strong universal(I broke mine:confused:) and long extension to give you room to turn your rachet.
Other then that it was easy. Just take your time.:D
Hope this helps
~James

Hock
05-28-2009, 10:59 AM
As long as you can get your arms to the top of the belt housing the top bolts are cake. Just use a regular length wrench to get them out.

If you dont have the tools for the clutch hose use two small flat head screw drivers to work the sleeve in to disconnect it. Now if its the stock hose then it might be corroded too bad for the sleeve to move so you may have to cut it. I believe Rock Auto sell them now so you can replace it.

As far as the flywheel I have no clue where you can get a new stock one beside SCP (if they still sell them). DO make sure that you atleast replace the slave cylinder while you have the trans out.

Tim Groth
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Trans removal isn't that bad...takes about half a day...longest part for me when doing so is removing the exhaust so that it's able to drop down. If a stock exhuast soak em in some PB Blaster for a while.

1. Remove Center console and top plate inside cabin
2. Remove driveshaft to dif bolts - 12pt -12mm x4 bolts
3. Drop the dif - beleive 4 bolts top side 15mm bottom 18mm if I remember
4. Slide drive shaft back
5. Remove front section of the exhaust - 15mm nuts
6. Remove bell houseing bolts - 13mm bolts and 1 15mm on the starter

Also I have 2 fly wheels laying around they need to be resurfaced due to surface rust, however be willing to sell pretty cheap. I am going to Carlisle so if you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll throw it in with the other parts I am bringing for other folks.

-Tim

90coug
05-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I bet your flywheel is okay just your clutch disc shattered; this happened to me and when I took it out all there was left of the clutch disc was metal, looked like a fan almost. You'll still want to resurface your flywheel I'm sure. Just a guess but I'd bet .10 cents on it.

BArtkowsky
05-28-2009, 03:47 PM
i'll prob start on it on sat morning. when it went bad it was soundin like crap for a few days as i was told by coworkers. Then the one day when i went to leave work the clutch was a litlle funny, by the time i got from pittsburgh to harmarville it the pedal was half gone and every time i pushed it it made a loud clang screech scraping noise wheni pushed on the pedal, I was prayin that it would make it home. About halfway home from harmarville when i stopped at the stop sign it felt like a bunch of stuff was snapping off you could kinda feel it in the pedal as it was snapping and then it make clinking noises as whatever snapped off fell down, On the last turn into my driveway was the last pressure of the pedal which was practically down to the floor at that point. it had to downshift it after turning off the highway and my neighbors dog which was supposed to be on a leash wasnt and ran out in front of me and i almost ran it over and then the ~~~ has the nerve to yell at me to slow down when my car is makin all kinds of noises and crap. he pisses me off, lol, anyways that is what happened. I am getting a clutch kit and a new slave cylinder (currently on hold at my job till next weekend when i can pick it up) hopefully i dont need a bunch of unexpected crap, lol, thanks for all ur input guys, feel free to post some more stuff if u think of anything else, thanks, much appriciated, maybe this year ill get to bring it to the picnic as the third auto zone DIS module fried 7 miles from my house on the way there, lol

BArtkowsky
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
is resurfacing the flywheel just sanding it with emery paper or do i have to take it somewhere?

90coug
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Take it to a machine shop, I took mine to havana auto parts (NAPA), they did good work.

BArtkowsky
05-30-2009, 03:04 PM
oh my i am whooped. i got everything out today with supprisingly no major problems or broken bolts even... <Pinching myself>, lol. anyways i it does need a clutch as one of the rivets has chewed up the pressure plate surface, also both the pressure plate and the flyweel are glazed over so i will have to see if my cousins husband will give me a good deal on a resurfacing at his job, its not bad but might as well if its not too much $. the slave cylinder was actually the biggest problem. When i pulled the rubber pluc off the bottom drivers side before i took out the tranny i pulled a plastic ring out from insuide the bellhousing, once i got it out the spring was basically hanging there the rear plastic ring on the spring was completely shredded at the bottom of the bellhousing and the spring had shaved a considerable amount of metal off the slave cylinder. the ball bearings in the bearing on the slave cylinder were laying in the bottom of the bellhousing. Cant wait to get it back together next weekend !!! I miss drivin my baby.... :-) i havent got to drive her since like last september when it went bad. Thanks guys

Mike8675309
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
There is a bearing that goes into the back of the crankshaft. You'll want to replace that at the same time you're doing the clutch/flywheel and slave cylinder. Info on the bearing is in this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96740&highlight=pilot+shaft+bearing

Also, use loc-tite on the bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft, and make sure you torque them properly.

BArtkowsky
05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
yeah i noticed the pilot bearing is practically bone dry, so i got to get a new one

BArtkowsky
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
anyone know from the point im at now how easy replacing the rear main seal would be?