No start when warm

junkmann

First post, great site here lots of helpful info.

i just acquired an 89 xr7 from a friend and having some issues. A little history. Sat for 2-3 years started fine then didnt want to start i drained all the fuel and put new in. It looks to me that all is stock under the hood aside from a smaller supercharger pulley.

Issues. The car will start with just a bump of the key when its cold. It will either idle normal and all the sudden amp up to around 2000 rpm after 2-3 minutes. Or start and idle at 2000 right off the bat. Idle will come down sometimes but not often. Also kinda bogs out when snapping the throttle. When the car is warm it will either start after a lot of cranking and the pedal to the floor or i will get nothing at all. I do smell gas under the hood and from the exhaust. Must be flooding out?
Also black smoke when accelerating

I have cleaned the Throttle body and maf. Also checked the vac line to the fpr for fuel that checked out fine. Tomorrow im planning on cleaning the tps and the idle speed motor.

Any other ideas?

Trying to keep it from being a part out.

No starting??

hey whats up? it kind sounds like the ignition controle module. i had the same problem with mine.. i dont know if its a common problem or not but just take it to your local parts store like napa, advanced auto parts, o riellys, pep boys and they can check it for you

ignition control module? the DIS or is it differnt? i have tried another known good DIS. I have another coil pak i may try as well.

Ive pulled the codes from an eec a time or 2 before on my trucks. Ill give that a shot today as well.

The check engine light didnt come on untill i disconnectd the battery the other day. Before that no light.

- 21 O,R Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) out of range
- 51 O,C Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) circuit open
- 63 O,C Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit out of range (low)

wow...surprised it starts at all :)

I would check voltages at the TPS. Make sure the throttle plate is clean and not being held open, etc. Replace the TPS if the voltages are too far out and/or jump around when opening/closing the throttle while checking.

The coolant sensor is either wiring and/or the sensor itself, assuming the tip is actually bathed in coolant, not gunked up, etc. Don't forget to clean the ground cables.

Good luck w/the project.

also, your cam sensor can cause a no start... my 95 would hesitate to start when hot untiil i changed my cam sensor. its a cheap and easy part to replace. i did it with some swivels and extensions without even taking any belts off.

make sure you mark your position, and dont unbolt the housing, just the top of the sensor itself.

to check it, jsut unplug it when hot and try to start it, if it doesnt start still,, you have another issue, if it does, then theres your problem.

put a differnt tps on today and the car starts and idles decent. still smells very rich and has a hard time starting back up warm. i did not drive it, just idled it for a while in the driveway. for the codes 21 51 I do get a reading on the temp gauge. is there another temp sensor? the one on top by the water outlet looks to be relativly new. is there one on the head that may work with the computer?

thanks

I do get a reading on the temp gauge. is there another temp sensor? the one on top by the water outlet looks to be relatively new. is there one on the head that may work with the computer?

The sender by the thermostat housing (top water outlet) is for the temp gauge in the dash. #1 in the attached photo. Uses one wire.

There is an ECT sensor, on the passenger side of the engine, top near the front that connects to the computer. #2 in the photo. Two wire connector.

Attachments

• ECT_desc.jpg
    ECT_desc.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 165
Thanks.... Easy enough to change. The car seems to be running properly. Does not bog out when revving and will start when warm. Havn't drivin it yet but so far seems good....

Thanks for the help.

Back