PDA

View Full Version : Would you be mad

THE BIRDMAN
05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I just want to get everyones opinion. I bought this throttle body for $400 it was a $300 t.b and I paid an extra $100 to have it sent to his polisher to have it polished. I ordered it on the 29th of april and just now got it in the mail. And once I opened it the top side looks good but the bottom side wasn't even done :mad:which to me is a half a** polishing job. So now I don't know what I should do if I should send it back and have it "finished" or am I just over reacting. Am I wrong to expect when I pay $400 for a "polished" throttle body that I recieve a nice professionally polished t.b.? Or am I expecting to much. I know once it's installed you won't be able to tell its now polished all the way but to me it's the principal. Hell you can buy a professional products poilshed t.b for $150 and it's totally poilshed and looks great. Check out the pics and tell me what you guys think? Thanks

Jay

Ira R.
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I think I would get on the phone and ask the guy who did the work why he only polished half the unit. For all you know that is what he was told to do by the guy you bought it from.

But I would be pissed enough to speak with the guy you bought it from and ask him what the heck this is all about. I would be inquisitive and polite, until it is time to not be either.

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
05-28-2009, 12:04 PM
You could have bought a polished MP TB as well.

Id be mad..It should be 100% polished

THE BIRDMAN
05-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Ira that's what I'm probably gonna do I just gotta chill out a little first.

Damon that's what it is and I bought it direct from M.P when I opened it I couldn't believe Charles sent it to like that ~~~.

Jay

90coug
05-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Why would anyone only polish half a unit!? Must have been a mistake. I'm sure they'll correct it but question is do you want to wait again?

XxSlowpokexX
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh dude...I would so call him up..Thats unacceptable

Tim Groth
05-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow that's not cool - I'd be mad.

-Tim

THE BIRDMAN
05-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok so from reading your responses it's not just me. Yeah I'm gonna call Charles tommorrow and find out what's up. I'm not worried about waiting (even though I already waited for a month and still didn't get what I thought I had paid for )my car is far from finished but once it's done I want it right and looking sweet. I just want what I feel I paid for nothing more nothing less.

Jay

Kurt K
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I would be upset that it wasn't disclosed prior to being sent/paid for; that's for sure. But realistically, you can't even see the non-polished areas when it is installed on the car.....and yes, I'd still be upset if it had not be disclosed in the description.

nickleman60
05-28-2009, 03:25 PM
At least he polished the top side......................:rolleyes:

Dangle
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree with Kurt It should have been brought up that only half the thing would be polished. But a polished TB is just that, and this one aint done yet. I find in situations like these we tend to get a little more bent out of shape then needed right off the bat. I bet when you make the call, they will be surprised this happened, then again, maybe not.

I wonder if anyone else has ordered the same thing and had it show up like this??

pablon2
05-28-2009, 03:46 PM
If you can live with it as is, ask for $50 back on principle. If you cannnot live with it, return it and have him do the whole thing and at least split the shipping if not have him pay for shipping both ways.

XxSlowpokexX
05-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Charles is a good guy and I'm sure there wont be a problem here

THE BIRDMAN
05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Well I e-amiled Charles yesterday and he replied back that is the way they come only the parts that show when installed get polished to save costs. He did say that if any of the unpolished parts show once it is installed to ship it back to him and he'll have those areas polished. I told him in the future he should disclose what all is going to be polished to the customer prior to sale so we know what we are getting. Also to anyone who has bought a t.b direct from M.P. did it come with gaskets and or directions because I recieved neither.

Jay

XxSlowpokexX
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I dont recall getting any. $100 bucks for half a polish is steep in my opinion

Toms-SC
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmmm good deal. :eek:

BECERRASC
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
if that was my situation i will call right away for 100 buck's i 'l do it my self i have done those before...... thats cheap ~~~~ job done there ... i will ask for a refund of the polished part.......

Toms-SC
05-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Well I e-amiled Charles yesterday and he replied back that is the way they come only the parts that show when installed get polished to save costs. He did say that if any of the unpolished parts show once it is installed to ship it back to him and he'll have those areas polished. I told him in the future he should disclose what all is going to be polished to the customer prior to sale so we know what we are getting. Also to anyone who has bought a t.b direct from M.P. did it come with gaskets and or directions because I recieved neither.

Jay

Sounds like pretty slimey business practice...When a small product is described as polished,the inference is that the whole product is polished unless otherwise disclosed.

So if you install this unit and it doesnt look right then who eats the shipping costs?...Bet it wont be Charles

If he doesnt make it right,I would list him under bad sellers and also make posts on other forums where he sell parts like the lightning boards.

THE BIRDMAN
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah it was pretty half ~~~ done and yeah I've never had anything professionally polished but I think for such a small part a $100 should get the whole thing done. But that's fine since that's how he wants to do business the money I was going to spend with him I'll spend elsewhere.If I need any other M.P parts I'll just find them used rather than new. I guess in the end I'm just disappointed.

Jay

nickleman60
05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I know many of you have bought the polished TB's over the years from him, have they always been like that? He'd have an earful from me and I'd get a 100% refund on what was charged for the polishing or 100% refund on the TB and buy it elsewhere and polish it yourself..........

Dangle
05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I'd be like "hey dude...polish This!" Everyone needs to make money, BUT for something like this? You paid top dollar! Any vendor that wants to keep a good reputation should go the extra mile to make sure their clients are happy.

BLOWN38
05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
100 bucks is cheap for a polish job. Have ya ever tryed it? It wouldn't be that big a deal to me, but it prolly should have been said up front that the visible areas would be done.

I've been polishing alot of marauder stuff lately and it takes ALOT of time. I try to be fair with the guys.

Come to Carlisle and you can see alot of my work.

Ddubb
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Looks like a half ~~~ job to me. I would me mad .. thats false advertising.

DriftingThunder
05-29-2009, 10:53 PM
the bottom side wasn't even done :mad:which to me is a half a** polishing job.

Literally!

I think you have plenty of reason to be agitated at this. Charles is an awesome guy, and that's great, but if you pay to have something polished, I think they should polish the external portion of the product entirely, especially for $100. Isn't that how most professionally polished products are? Am I wrong here?

100 bucks is cheap for a polish job.

On a TB?

XR7 Dave
05-30-2009, 09:13 AM
I think you guys are being overly harsh for no reason. When I paid $1800 for custom made billet polished wheels, they did not polish the back side of them. Hell I didn't even get hubcentric rings to go with them! Paying money for "bling" is just that - cosmetic -. It's money spent on nothing other than looks and if you can't even see it then I think you are being overly critical.

Polishing is generally charged by the hour and that's probably all the polishing Charles could get for $100 (less normal markup so maybe $70). By being upset with Charles you must be thinking that he is making extra money off of shoddy workmanship. Instead I see a very nice finish on the top where you can actually see it, nicer than the finish I've seen on other polished parts, and to me it looks like evidence that the polisher chose to stop working at one particular point to stay within budget (based on an assumed $70 payment and the amount of time invested in the product).

I don't see that the polisher did a bad job, but rather that they stopped polishing at a point where return on investment ended. So what I'm saying is that the workmanship is good, just that your $100 did not get you as much polishing as you think it should. Unless you are an experienced polisher, I don't think you can accurately estimate or assume how much time (and therefore money) went into your $100 polishing job.

And comparing that to a PP polishing job is a nasty insult.

Dangle
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Ya but:)

Dave

I'm not doubting that Charles isn't getting rich of of polishing parts. He certainly isn't going to loose money doing the whole thing, and yeah, the part they did polish looks good and that's really all that matters BUT when Jay bought this part he paid $400. $300 for the part and $100 more for the polishing. The whole rreason for being upset is not knowing it wasan't going to be done all the way around. How many polishing jobs would they sell if they told people it was only for the part they see? If he said it's $100 for the part you see, and another $100 for the part you don't, well then this thread in my opinion would have never been written.

Dan

392Bird
05-30-2009, 01:34 PM
When I ordered my polished Vortech YSi, every thing came polished top and bottom. The head unit, the enclosure, and the blow off. The bottom half of the enclosure was not done as well as the top, but it was decent.

THE BIRDMAN
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I know polishing is expensive my issue was if the entire unit was not to be polished I should have been told that. I agree what was polished looks good it just that I was unaware when I recieved it that it would "only be the areas you can see" so I'm looking at a nice polished t.b and then flip it over and I'm like what's up with this. I wouldn't have been upset if Charles had told me up front "be aware only the visible portions will be polished" . I think it is more of a communication issue.

Jay