PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this problem before?

birdlessmuz
05-28-2009, 03:25 PM
ok you yurn the ignition key to start car, car starts you let go of the key and power is cut, then turn the key again, same outcome, flip key over try again, same result,same, same, same, STAYS RUNNING LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED,TOUCH KEY AGAIN START FROM STEP ONE.

please is this the tumbler, the key, other. any help would be greatly appreciated

David Neibert
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a bad ignition switch...not the locking mechanism.

David

Cobra85
05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Spot on, David. I've replace several myself, all with the same issues.

brandywine11297
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
boy this sounds way too familiar to me. my problem was koeo everything worked, but crank and have the car running is when the problems started. no abs assist, no turn signals and no blower motor on the hvac. changed the switch and problems went the way of the wind.

birdlessmuz
05-29-2009, 05:12 PM
how hard is this problem to fix is this something a d.i.y.er can do or take it to mechanic, i learned over the two days of having the car that if you let the key go very slow everything is fine. where do you get a ignition set ford still have them or is there one i can get that doesnt have this problem?

CougarXR/7
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
.Yep.........a new ignition switch is in your future. My 92' S.C. AND my 94' LX did the same thing. Advance auto parts to the rescue!

the-big-e
05-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Replacing the switch is very easy....

I took one out of my 90 SC parts car this afternoon and installed it into my 92 SC....

Only took about thirty minutes to do the whole job.....

You will need a set of Torx tamper proof bits (#28, I think) and a " wrench to turn it (it's a tight fit, but it is possible).....

Be sure to turn the ignition switch to run before you take the switch assembly out.....

brandywine11297
05-29-2009, 08:15 PM
i thought it was pretty easy. remove the cover at the bottom of the dash and then remove the cover on the steering column. i will send repair instructions to you in a pm if i can. the repair is from alldata.

the-big-e
05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I did both of mine without removing the dash panel....

All I had to remove was the plastic covers on the steering column.....