heater core replacement

Lycaon1349

anyone know a heater core writeup on here? sick of not being able to see when its cool enough to fog the glass

my first time took me about 14hours to do the whole job. start to finish did mine in to days.

i had no manual only help from this site. i got it out and in wasnt all that hard just alot to do to remove the dash.

i also removed both front seats to make it tons easier that adds around an hour or so to do in and out:rolleyes: but i did this when the weather was bad and it was cold.so i tryed to keep the doors closed the whole time!

not sure if it will help you but heres a link with a few pics of what had to be done.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84038&highlight=heater+core

Last edited:
remove seats, center console and associated wires... drop the steering column, unbolt both cannon plugs (the wire harness big plugs) on either side, unbolt the dash with i believe 6-7 screws, early model ones have 3-4 on top, and 4-6 on bottom, not sure. pull dash back (you dont need to totally remove it) and you have access. change and installation is the reverse of removal.

its not hard, can be accomplished in a few hours. have done it twice now. :)

I'll add this, because otherwise you'll break something out of frustration.

Bend the metal tubes towards each other when trying to slip it out/in the big foam gasket at the firewall. Bend the tubes back into their normal postion once its in place. :cool:

my first time took me about 14hours to do the whole job. start to finish
Same here.. now though it only takes me about 2 hours to remove the dash and 2 hours to reinstall it. The 10 hour difference is due to the time it takes to figure out what to remove and how. Its significant.

Several years ago, I found a very detailed procedure with LOTS of pictures for this job. I think it was on TCCOA.com, but am not sure. I still have the print out though.

>The 10 hour difference is due to the time it takes to figure out what to remove and how. Its significant.

Plus the three days it takes to figure out how to burp the cooling system...properly :)

It is a job to say the least. I've never had to do it for the SC but my 97 LX ate 2 of them before I learned that it needs to be grounded. Kendall is right there is an excellent write up at TCCOA.COM in the "Engine - 4.6L & 5.4L" forum just search for it. They have lots of helpful hints there because the 96-97 Tbirds didn't have the cooling system grounded properly. No ground = electrolysis and corrosion = "hey why is my passenger floor wet?" = 1 weekend of scraped knuckles and cussing.

Good luck!

Back