PDA

View Full Version : Think I messed up the Tbird, Again

pbdevastator
05-30-2009, 12:07 AM
well i decided to clean the engine bay on both the honda and the sc. Honda seems to run fine, so no worries there. However the sc is another story. I thought i convered everything i needed to not get water or anything else in them, and removed the covers when i was done. When i get on the gas or even half throttle, car is alot louder then it used to be and really sounds like a piece of paper stuck in a fan, and there seems to be a power loss. I still hear the blower and the boost meter doesn't do a sudden drop it remains steady. Then other times it just loud and there doesnt seem to be a power loss. Any thoughts?

Ddubb
05-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Sounds like that was a bad idea.

How much water did you spray on the engine ??? I used to detail cars and their engine bays professionally and never gave it more than a quick rinse after spraying degreaser .. never covered anything, and did not spray and directly on top of the engine, just around it .. and wipe the engine down by hand .. if you really want it clean, take it apart and clean each piece individually.

But yeah .. lots of electronics, something got too wet. First thing to check .. spark plug wires ? DIS ?

- Dan

92sclikenew
05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
with the little info you gave sounds like the dis is actting up. maybe it got wet inside.:rolleyes:

91BlackBird
05-30-2009, 07:38 AM
If an engine is running properly and all parts(plugs,wires etc) are good then you can spray as much water as you want on it without damaging anything.
Everything in an engine bay is sealed and designed too get wet and is weather sealed(connectors,modules,etc).
Now i would not spray right into the alternator for long periods of time but while washing the engine it will be fine.
Always leave the engine running while washing and if it starts to stumble you need plug wires as they are arching.
You probably need wires, let it dry out and it will be fine.

92sclikenew
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
If an engine is running properly and all parts(plugs,wires etc) are good then you can spray as much water as you want on it without damaging anything.
Everything in an engine bay is sealed and designed too get wet and is weather sealed(connectors,modules,etc).
Now i would not spray right into the alternator for long periods of time but while washing the engine it will be fine.
Always leave the engine running while washing and if it starts to stumble you need plug wires as they are arching.
You probably need wires, let it dry out and it will be fine.

this is true on a well tuned up car there should be no issues. does sound like it could be plug wires but if you have access to a spare dis that would be easier to change out to see if it got better. plugs and wires are a ~~~~ to get changed:rolleyes:

pbdevastator
05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I did what i always do when i clean any engine. I covered the alternator, and i covered the edge of the intake box and mafs area. Then i used degreaser, and pressure washed it. After i was done i gave it like 4 hours before i started it. I did the same thing to my accord, and that car works fine. I wonder if the pressure knocked somethign out of place. Would a bad wire or dis cause the car to be super loud on half to full throttle? like i said it sounds like a piece of paper stuck in a fan.

ricardoa1
05-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I always power wash the engine with it running. If i hear any sings of it missing or hiccup I stop sprying in that area.

91BlackBird
05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
No it would not cause it to be louder persay.
However if one of your wires is arching out you will hear a snap,snap,snap sound )which is the best way i can describe it)or i guess, possibly what you describe.

lube70
05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
THe car can get as wet as you want. Engine can get soaked if you want, just run it as soon as possible after to drive off any moisture. THe water sitting there probably got into a connector and caused a problem. Get the engine nice and hot, a nice long ride and all should be fine... Had it happen to me once or twice years ago on old carbed cars.

Don

pbdevastator
05-30-2009, 04:53 PM
ok the problem in question has been solved and actually has nothing to do with me pressure washing the engine bay. bolts holding downtubes to the header on driver side were loose, as in im lucky i didnt loose any bolts. Im just amazed that before i washed the engine this noise wasnt there, then after i washed it it was. In the process i noticed there is a small amount of antifreeze leaking from the water pump area.