PDA

View Full Version : engine knocking but good oil pressure????

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I have a 91 SC that when I bought it with a knock. Loud enough that you can hear it inside the car. Odd thing is that I am holding great oil pressure. When sitting at idle it is barely audible but when you give it a little gas is when you can start to hear it. Any ideas?

sinhumane
05-30-2009, 11:02 AM
collapsed lifte made a knocking sound in my 95, also, the harmonic balancer could come loose from the sleeve and rub on the timing cover... that makes what sounds identical to a knocking engine.

91BlackBird
05-30-2009, 11:05 AM
How do you know you have good oil pressure????
Don't rely on the factory gauge(it's useless)as mine said it had oil pressure even though the oil pump siezed.

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Good point, I was going off the factory gauge.

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I think I will drain the oil today and see if i find any metal shavings or anything that would indicate a bearing or something. Im hoping that it is something on the top end. That would be alot easier than replacing the whole motor.

QuickMustang
05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
The stock oil pressure guage is nothing more than a dummy light...If I remember correctly, about 10 psi is all that it needs for the guage to register. That is not really good oil pressure. Cut your oil filter and look at the element inside when you change your oil.

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
well so much for that one. drained the oil and pulled the filter. no pieces but definitely some filings. hoping it is only a spun bearing. does anyone know of a trick to drop the pan without pulling the motor or is that impossible?

sinhumane
05-30-2009, 03:24 PM
drop the k member. easier just to pull the block. you can replace front and rear main seals, timing cover/water pump gasket, and vc gaskets while you're in there. will definitely make life easier down the road. :)

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 03:50 PM
im thinking about just giving it to someone else to rebuild or buying a new short block. any have an engine they want to give away?

91BlackBird
05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Only a spun bearing????????????????:confused:
That's probably the worst thing that can happen too your engine except for catastrophic failure.

BTobiczyk
05-30-2009, 04:05 PM
hey, it isnt a rod through the side of the block or a piston shot through the head. all in all i would say it could be worse. lol