Has anyone tried a Nos/CO2 intercooler cooler?

BTobiczyk

I came across one online and was curious if anyone has any experience using one on the track and if they are worth it or not. I personally dont know why you would use nitrous when CO2 is cheaper and just as cold and not flammable but to each his own i guess.

my mistake in my wording, because of the increased amount of oxygen it it is a combustion accelerant as opposed to CO2 which is a combustion inhibitor.

Mark Strand aka 68COUGAR was working a design for CO2 intercooler sprayer a few years back when he still lived in the states. He has since sold his XR7 to Dalke though iirc, and is in the Philippines last I knew. Too bad, he was my bizarre and boozed mentor for awhile there. :) I can't say if he ever had fitted it onto his car, but he had a working prototype I believe.

Several people have tried the Co2/Nitrous intercooler sprayers and they didn't do enough to justify the hassel. Mainly because they are only good for a few seconds of extra power. Picture sitting in the staging lanes just prior to entering the burnout box and hitting the button on the sprayer...lots of hissing and what looks like a cloud of steam rolls out from under the hood while you hold the sprayer on for 15 or 20 seconds to cool off the intercooler (which is now half clogged with frost). You do your burnout and even before you can get the car staged the intercooler has heated back up again.

You could try spraying while going down the track, but once the air coming through the front of the car increases, the spray pattern gets smaller and is less effective. Unless your charge air temps are high enough to cause the computer to pull timing your not going to gain much power. An IC fan would be a better way to keep the air temps down and it's something that will be working all the time...instead of only working when you spray.

David

PS: If your going to spray nitrous, spray it into the motor.

what if you sprayed directly into the i.c. wouldnt that do its job and possibley get a little into the motor?

I assume your talking about nitrous....and if so, the best place to spray it, is after the intercooler just prior to going into the intake manifold (on top of return plenum).

David

I was never planning on using it myself, it was just more of a curiosity question if anyone has used it and the results. I know from what I read of a setup being used on a 600hp civic (i know i hate them too but that is what they used). it gained 68hp.

there is no reason to hate a honda hate the people who try to "hook them up" i have a honda civic and had acura integra.they both made 120hp/per liter which is sweet but the reason for import tunning is parts readily available and cheap just like the old hot rodder seen in the fifties and sixties.

but what i was saying if you spray the nos into the i.c it would freeze i.c. housing and then go with the air into engine isnt that better than wasting the spray at speed or warming before the run

I assume your talking about nitrous....and if so, the best place to spray it, is after the intercooler just prior to going into the intake manifold (on top of return plenum).

David

This is where David is saying to mount the nitrous nozzle to spray into the motor, after the ACT sensor and before it goes into the lower intake. This is pics of my black '94 motor.

Attachments

• nitous pics 001.JPG
    nitous pics 001.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 103
  • nitous pics 002.JPG
    nitous pics 002.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 100
  • nitous pics 003.JPG
    nitous pics 003.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 102
  • nitous pics 004.JPG
    nitous pics 004.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I lived in Orlando for 5 years. Everyone (and I mean everyone) there who has a civic, integra, accord, etc. thinks they are "fast and furious" by adding some rims, a spoiler (useless on front wheel drive), lowering it (but not aligning so tires are toast within 5k), and adding a 4 inch muffler. Every one of them blasting reggaeton which every song has the exact same beat. Those movies brought too many idiots into the car scene. Perfect example F&F Tokyo Drift. The mustang in the last scene supposedly had a turbo straight six in it. Well When they actually built that car for the movie it wasnt able to pull off the drifting scenes. They had to build a second mustang with a 430 windsor. (trust me I did the research)

With that all being said. If you have an import and understand what cars are really about and what they are capable of then I have no beef with you. Im sure there are plenty of guys out there who have great cars, I have even seen a few i liked (none are hondas but thats just me). I have a great respect for a supra, 300zx, rx7, evo, sti, and the list goes on. Like most of the guys with supercoupes, part of the reason I love SCs are the exclusiveness of them. Civics are a dime a dozen.

Sorry for the rant I just get going sometimes. lol

Now to get back on topic. What if you blocked off the intercooler from air flow and sprayed CO2 onto it the entire pass. It would most likely freeze the cooler and that wouldnt be an issue for airflow since it being frozen would be more effective than the airflow itself. Just a thought.

Now to get back on topic. What if you blocked off the intercooler from air flow and sprayed CO2 onto it the entire pass. It would most likely freeze the cooler and that wouldnt be an issue for airflow since it being frozen would be more effective than the airflow itself. Just a thought.

Why don't you just install a water to air i/c then?

I lived in Orlando for 5 years. Everyone (and I mean everyone) there who has a civic, integra, accord, etc. thinks they are "fast and furious" by adding some rims, a spoiler (useless on front wheel drive), lowering it (but not aligning so tires are toast within 5k), and adding a 4 inch muffler. Every one of them blasting reggaeton which every song has the exact same beat. Those movies brought too many idiots into the car scene. Perfect example F&F Tokyo Drift. The mustang in the last scene supposedly had a turbo straight six in it. Well When they actually built that car for the movie it wasnt able to pull off the drifting scenes. They had to build a second mustang with a 430 windsor. (trust me I did the research)

With that all being said. If you have an import and understand what cars are really about and what they are capable of then I have no beef with you. Im sure there are plenty of guys out there who have great cars, I have even seen a few i liked (none are hondas but thats just me). I have a great respect for a supra, 300zx, rx7, evo, sti, and the list goes on. Like most of the guys with supercoupes, part of the reason I love SCs are the exclusiveness of them. Civics are a dime a dozen.

Sorry for the rant I just get going sometimes. lol

and u forgot about GTRs (skylines) lol :D

I have a great respect for a supra, 300zx, rx7, evo, sti, and the list goes on.

You like the rotaries or just RX7's in general? I have a '90 GTU with a 347 (started as a 5.0HO) stroker and a 250 shot :) built C4 MSD, etc... It has a body kit so most people say "ricer" but I am usualy too far ahead of them to hear it...

Another thought Dave

Several people have tried the Co2/Nitrous intercooler sprayers and they didn't do enough to justify the hassel. Mainly because they are only good for a few seconds of extra power. Picture sitting in the staging lanes just prior to entering the burnout box and hitting the button on the sprayer...lots of hissing and what looks like a cloud of steam rolls out from under the hood while you hold the sprayer on for 15 or 20 seconds to cool off the intercooler (which is now half clogged with frost). You do your burnout and even before you can get the car staged the intercooler has heated back up again.

You could try spraying while going down the track, but once the air coming through the front of the car increases, the spray pattern gets smaller and is less effective. Unless your charge air temps are high enough to cause the computer to pull timing your not going to gain much power. An IC fan would be a better way to keep the air temps down and it's something that will be working all the time...instead of only working when you spray.

David

PS: If your going to spray nitrous, spray it into the motor.

Dave,
I was also looking into this stuff and was trying to get things a bit more consistent, not so much looking for more power, (that would be a nice added benefit tho!) perhaps to eliminate all the stupid Ice I take to a day of racing is really what i was thinking about.

You know as well as anyone when things get heat soaked, ACT keep going up, and there is not much to stop it. Even with meth injection things get very hot and all during a day of racing my times get slower and slower, unless I have a while to cool off and lots of ice on all the intercooler tubing.

And yes I was certainly talking about spraying all the way down the track, and was hoping with the intercoler fan I have and the added forced air from the speed it would force the sprayed CO2 further into the intercooler before frosting occurs. How long would it take to frost I guess would depend on how hot the intercooler is would it not??

Do you see any added benefit for consistency rather than added power?

I too was looking to hear from anyone who had tried it with any results you may have seen.

Just some thoughts!

Smitty

well i even have to ice the the hell out of mine.
To get my fastest time's even with my snow kit.
So if the co2 can keep it that cold down the track then i would say yes it should work.

Back