PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal repair sleeve

BArtkowsky
06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
ok i am getting conflicting info on researching the repair of my rear main seal since my tranny and everything is out to do my clutch, with 186,000 some miles it is time for a rear main seal. I found the National redi sleeve at advance where i work part time, havent checked to see if it comes with the installation tool or not yet.

The part # is

Advance: National Seal 99363 it is like $50.99

Auto Zone: Timken kwk99363 is like $58.oo

Napa: NOS 99362 is like $54.99 and is shown to come with the installation tool in the picture. This repair sleeve has slightly different specs listed than the National

NOS 99362: I.D.:3.6250"
Width:1.0000"

National: 3.623" x 3.629" x .500"

Timken:Shaft Diameter Width on Overall Flange Installation Part
Range(A) Shaft(B) Width(C) Diameter(D) Depth(E) Number

3.623 3.629 0.500 0.625 4.025 1.750 KWK99363

Is NAPA's the same as Timken and National? Or have i just asked a stupid question? Napa online did not let me choose the vin R option but the same sleve seems to be used on many other applications..... I dunno im goin to bed, ill try to cross refenrence it tomorrow night at work, any info is much appriciated, Thanks

TbirdSCFan
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I BELIEVE that I used the national part you're referring to on one of my 3 cars along with a standard seal. Everything is leak free.

But I'd just go with the PFTE main seal and be done with it. That type of seal does not require a sleeve. I don't know why that is, but I believe it has something to do with the material. The directions state that "Felpro does not recommend the use of a sleeve with this seal" so I followed the advice and everything seems fine. I used it on the other 2 cars, and no leaks...

While you're at it, I'd highly recommend a generous layer of silicon RTV over the oil pan to block gap. Clean the surfaces with brake parts cleaner on a paper towel first.

fturner
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I BELIEVE that I used the national part you're referring to on one of my 3 cars along with a standard seal. Everything is leak free.

But I'd just go with the PFTE main seal and be done with it. That type of seal does not require a sleeve. I don't know why that is, but I believe it has something to do with the material. The directions state that "Felpro does not recommend the use of a sleeve with this seal" so I followed the advice and everything seems fine. I used it on the other 2 cars, and no leaks...

While you're at it, I'd highly recommend a generous layer of silicon RTV over the oil pan to block gap. Clean the surfaces with brake parts cleaner on a paper towel first.

The PFTE one you mentioned, is that fine on a crank that has a groove worn in it? or do you have to use the other one with the sleeve in that case?

Fraser

TbirdSCFan
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I used the PFTE seal on a crankshaft which had a slight groove AND was slightly nicked as well. Even though I was a bit concerned, I didn't use a sleeve. It hasn't leaked. :)

KMT
06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
>"Felpro does not recommend the use of a sleeve with this seal"

Ummm - I don't think that means the Felpro is intended to make up for anything (but maybe the slightest groove). It just means that a sleeve would exceed the minimum diameter the seal is intended to service during use.

In the end, it really depends on the severity of a groove. If the groove is severe (and other repairs aren't in order, etc.), sleeve it and find a compatible seal.

But hey, whatever works ;)

TbirdSCFan
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Probably right. I was a bit surprised when it worked OK, but since it isn't broke now, I don't intend to fix it. I did notice that the PFTE seal seems to fit more snugly. Whereas the original seal has a comparitively sharp contact edge, the PFTE seal seemed to have a broader contact area.

BArtkowsky
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
well i checked at work and we have the origional in stock, i ordered the ptfe improved one and i ordered the repair sleeve. Hopefully i can take the old seal out tomorrow and see what one im gonna need, if its not grooved ill go with the improved design otherwise ill go with the origional and send the other stuff back. Ordered seal and sleeve will be in friday so all is well so far <fingers crossed> and i can get what i need when i pick up my clutch.