exhaust upgrade recommendation's

freeline95

Hey guys I recently got a 1990 Thunderbird with a 3.8L Supercharged that was knocking, so I rebuilt it. The odometer quit working at 145,454 miles and I was wondering if when I go to put a exhaust system on it if i should get rid of the cat's because of the millage on them. The exhaust is all still factory and i have never put an exhaust on a v6 before its always been v8's and I know that if you don't know what your doing it will sound like a rice burner and I don't want that. I already know to get rid of the resonator because of the restriction that it has from factory. I'm looking for something that's cheep but still sound's good without being too loud, exhaust clips would be great. My e-mail is freeline95@hotmail.com Thanks in advanced.

Dustin

high flow cats then magnaflow resonator or muffler and then straight pipes all way back with no mufflers :)

You're going to get all different recommendations regarding the exhaust sound. Exhaust note is very subjective. What sounds good to you may sound horrible to me. If you looking to free up the flow, first replace the factory down tubes/converters and resonator.

When I built my 2 1/2" mandrel bent dual exhaust, I installed the Magnaflow X-Pipe resonator and Magnaflow mufflers. I didn't really like the sound all that much. At idle and under light acceleration it sounded good IMHO but on WOT and cruising at 50 MPH not so good. Cruising at 50 MPH the system had a bad drone. I then changed the mufflers to a pair of Borlas. The sound improved but the drone is still present. Next step is to change the resonator to the longer Magnaflow unit. Hopefully that will quiet down the drone.

By the way, if you are looking to make your SC sound like a V8, then install a V8. Take it from me, the owner of 3 performance V8s, it ain't gonna sound like one:D

Good luck

Bryan

Back