PDA

View Full Version : unknown module front passenger in front of air box, behind headlights

91supacoop
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
hey everyone. as some of you may remember, I went with a standalone controller, and I am working on removing the PCM and associated wiring harnesses. Unfortunately I left both of my chiltons manuals in MI, because i didn't think i would need them. I am now in NY.

Where the PCM harness goes through the firewall, there are also two other plugs (a 10 pin, and a 22 pin...blue and yellow I think). I'm trying to determine which of this mess of wires I need to keep. There are 4 or 5 wires that I want to keep (temperature and pressure sensors as well as a tach signal for the gauges).

The part of the harness that confuses me is the portion of the harness that is after the plug for the radiator fan. It goes to the module located in the passenger side of the engine compartment in front of where the stock inlet airbox is and behind the headlights.

1) What is the module mentioned above, and what systems use it?

Also there are several other sensors that are wired in, including one that has what appears to be a vacuum line on it in the front passenger bumper. The vacuum line travels back in the fender to the rear passenger side corner where it travels across the back of the engine.

2) What is this sensor, and what systems use it?

The other sensor may be some ambient air sensor, it is mounted on the front passenger side of the radiator core support.

3) What is this sensor, and what systems use it?

Along what I believe to be the original tach signal wire, there is a plug that is covered; in other words, it does not plug into anything. It has only the one wire going to it, and one pin inside of it.

4) a) Am i correct to assume this is the tach signal wire?

b) What is this plug used for?

Any other helpful hints regarding this harness would be greatly appreciated.

racecougar
06-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Short and simple answers:

1) CCRM. It houses the fuel pump relay and controls the fans.

2) Canister Purge Solenoid. It should be tied into your charcoal canister, and it allows fumes from the fuel tank to be combusted in the engine.

3) Ambient Air Temp. Used for climate control.

4) What color is the wire?

91supacoop
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Short and simple answers:

1) CCRM. It houses the fuel pump relay and controls the fans.

2) Canister Purge Solenoid. It should be tied into your charcoal canister, and it allows fumes from the fuel tank to be combusted in the engine.

3) Ambient Air Temp. Used for climate control.

4) What color is the wire?

Rod, thanks for your help. Since I have wired in the fans to my aftermarket controller, and have replaced the fuel pump circuit, am I correct to assume that I can eliminate the module?

The wire is beige or tan with a yellow stripe.

91supacoop
06-19-2009, 06:53 AM
::followup::

Along what I believe to be the original tach signal wire, there is a plug that is covered; in other words, it does not plug into anything. It has only the one wire going to it, and one pin inside of it.

4) a) Am i correct to assume this is the tach signal wire?...

...The wire is beige or tan with a yellow stripe.

this is the tach signal wire. if you have an aftermarket controller and would like to use a Tach output from that controller to drive the stock tach....use this wire. It is on a black or yellow 20 pin connector that comes through the passenger side of the firewall. good luck.

96SCbird
06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Rod, thanks for your help. Since I have wired in the fans to my aftermarket controller, and have replaced the fuel pump circuit, am I correct to assume that I can eliminate the module?

The wire is beige or tan with a yellow stripe.

That "module" also houses relays for the computer and A/C, so unless you have eliminated those then you need it.