5 speed acting up, doesnt want to go into gear

Ddubb

My 5 speed was shifting fine until not too long ago. I was getting on the gas a little and when I went to shift into 2nd, the transmission grinded the gears and its been acting up ever since.
Now, when I push the clutch in and try to go into Any gear, the tranny grinds and wont go into gear. I tried to bleed it out again, but I think I put more air into the system than it had before. It still looks like the slave is moving about an inch or so.

Im just wondering if I might need a new master, slave, bleed it out .. or if there could be other issues with the tranny itself. Any help would be appreciated.

- Dan

slave

The master can cause this problem.. Replaced mine a couple of years ago...The main causes of this can be...
1....the master...check the rubber gasket that is part of the cover so that it seals...have seen it not seal.

2....The slave itself...the slave can go bad therefore not letting the clutch disengage, you can check this by looking through the inspection cover in the bell housing.

3.....bad pressure plate. Had my bolts loosen on mine causing the clutch not to release,

If I can help further, call me at 973-277-4294

Don

My clutch Pedal has never ever felt "stiff" .. it used to work better if I pumped the pedal before driving.

Would this be a symptom of a bad Master cylinder ?

Im hoping that would be it, because that would be easy to fix, but knowing these cars ... :rolleyes:

- Dan

Update ..

I disconnected the Hydraulic line at the Slave Cylinder and fluid just poured out .. the O-ring was sideways coming out of the line. I put the O ring back into position, and put more fluid into the resivoir and fluid still continues to drip out of the line ( line not connected to slave ) ..

Should the Master allow fluid to bleed through like this ?

And the Fluid line, that shouldnt be dripping .. O ring gone bad ?

:rolleyes:

- Dan

Yeah .. looks like the Master has been leaking into the car a little bit. I just pulled out, and it is very rough to compress the piston .. not smooth and springy like the replacement one I have .. we'll see how this goes.

Update : New Master took care of the problem, not sure I have all the air out of the line, but it doesnt grind anymore putting it in and out of gear.

- Dan

Last edited:
Back