PDA

View Full Version : A1000 with stock tank

91supacoop
06-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Has anyone done this? I would like to maintain the stock tank to preserve the relatively flat underside of the car while also maintaining my trunk space and spare tire location.

I was planning on mounting it in the tank, as close to the stock location as possible because i understand that keeping this pump submerged keeps it from overheating and whatnot.

If this isn't possible, how difficult would it be to make a hole in the bottom of the tank fit some kind of bung to allow me to run it as an inline pump and plug the stock fuel lines in the top of the tank?

Also, does anyone have a sort of parts list for lines and fittings and tools and such that I would need to update the stock fuel delivery system to work well with the A1000.

Lastly, what does everyone think of the speed controller that they have available for use with their pumps....it's quite expensive for a voltage controller.

fturner
06-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you feel you need something more than the 255lph FI fuel pump for our motors with good wiring in place? Unless of course your going with a huge v8 or something.

Fraser

David Neibert
06-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Has anyone done this? I would like to maintain the stock tank to preserve the relatively flat underside of the car while also maintaining my trunk space and spare tire location.

I was planning on mounting it in the tank, as close to the stock location as possible because i understand that keeping this pump submerged keeps it from overheating and whatnot.

If this isn't possible, how difficult would it be to make a hole in the bottom of the tank fit some kind of bung to allow me to run it as an inline pump and plug the stock fuel lines in the top of the tank?

Also, does anyone have a sort of parts list for lines and fittings and tools and such that I would need to update the stock fuel delivery system to work well with the A1000.

Lastly, what does everyone think of the speed controller that they have available for use with their pumps....it's quite expensive for a voltage controller.

Since the stock tank is plastic, I don't see how you will be able to mount the A1000 inside the tank. You could rework the pump/sender assembly and remove the pump and replace it with a large suction line and mount the pump externally, but it's going to be noisy.

A 255 lph high pressure pump is good for at least 400 rwhp, and probably around 500 rwhp with a voltage booster (like KB boost-a-pump). If that's not enough, you can modify the pump/sender assembly to accept a second 255 lph pump and dual supply lines, like was done on my 93 SC.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/dualpumps.jpg

David

Kevin Leitem
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
brandon ran an aeromotive EFI 700 pump with the stock tank. he put a fuel cell bung in the bottom of the tank. the EFI 700 are very quiet for an external pump. and will not heat up as bad as an 1000. as for the boost a pumps, I hate them. just a band-aid. if you need the extra fuel. put a bigger pump in. The boost a pumps are another way for things to go wrong. If the boost a pump fails. so does your nice engine!

91supacoop
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I tend to agree with Kevin on this one. If I need more fuel, I would rather get a bigger pump, than a voltage booster.

I do like the idea of running two 255LPH fuel pumps, that is definitely a viable option.

Fturner, I bought a 255 LPH HP pump from SCP a few years ago and that is what I am running now. Above 4500 RPM or so, it was leaning out. Injectors were at 100% duty cycle, and the only thing I can think of is that I was running out of fuel, and pressure was dropping. Maybe the cause isn't only the pump, but maybe it's the fuel filter, or maybe the wires going to the pump are too small of a gauge, and dropping the voltage too much before it gets to the pump. If it is something like that causing my lack of fuel, then it seems to me like I don't have enough of a safety factor. I would feel more comfortable getting a fuel system that can supply enough fuel even if the pump is only getting 11 Volts, or if the fuel filter starts creating some back pressure.

Kevin Leitem
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't like 2 pumps, if one shuts down you go lean. with one pump. if it shuts down, no problem

rzimmerl
06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Another option would be to try the Racetronix fuel pump wiring kit the splices into the factory harness and supplies 12 volts direct from the battery. I think Ricardo did a write up on the install and results. I'll be giving it a try this year also.

http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix-Mustang_Pump_Kit.html

THE BIRDMAN
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
If your injectors were at 100% duty cycle it would seem to me that you would need bigger injectors prior to upgrading the fuel pump. If your injectors are at 100% then they are flowing all the fuel they can it doesn't matter much how much fuel is on the feed side of them if they cannot flow anymore.Unless I'm looking at this wrong.

Jay

91supacoop
06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
If your injectors were at 100% duty cycle it would seem to me that you would need bigger injectors prior to upgrading the fuel pump. If your injectors are at 100% then they are flowing all the fuel they can it doesn't matter much how much fuel is on the feed side of them if they cannot flow anymore.Unless I'm looking at this wrong.

Jay

Jay, if the pump isn't supplying enough pressure, you can open the injectors at 100% duty cycle, and they won't flow enough.....compare it to the faucets in your house. If you have only 15 PSI of water pressure, your faucets aren't going to flow so much water, no matter how far you open the faucet valve. Jack the pressure up to 60 PSI, and you'll get more flow.....it's like that. There is no way I am moving enough air to be outrunning 72# injectors.

fturner
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Your running this in a supercoupe with a v6 in it?

Fraser

David Neibert
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Your running this in a supercoupe with a v6 in it?

Fraser

Pretty sure this is the same motor Coy Miller built and dyno tested with a 1.7 AR some time ago. I think it's also using the Electromotive engine managment system to drive the 72# low impendance injectors.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78852&highlight=coy+Miller

David

fturner
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Interesting......

Fraser

91supacoop
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Pretty sure this is the same motor Coy Miller built and dyno tested with a 1.7 AR some time ago. I think it's also using the Electromotive engine managment system to drive the 72# low impendance injectors.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78852&highlight=coy+Miller

David

looks like David made the connection:D

yeah, it took me a long time to get my ~~~ in gear and finally put it in the car.