possible crankshaft issue

1990XR7SC

ok i bought a crank off of tim goth and i thought the 89-93 sc motors were all the same as far as the crank. boy was i wrong! i have the mesurements for both but my question is what can i do to make this work in my 90 block? Would the main berings owrk with #4 being smaller?

Here are the stock mesurements for both cranks:

89-90 Crank mesurements:
Mains- 2.5194-2.5186
Rods- 2.4226-2.4274

92 Crank Mesurements:

Mains- (1-3 main journals) 2.5190-2.5198
#4 Journal-2.55096-2.5104
Rods- 2.310-2.3111

well i don't know if this would explane it but i got the mesurements out of he chiltons manual... But hopefully someone can shed me some light on wht the variance in sizes between the years.

so would i be able to use the 92 crank in my 90 block since the rear mains are different? same with the rods.

The #4 Main bearing is the same size for all SC cranks, it is already .010 Undersize and Can NOT be re-finished. If you buy a bearing kit, it should come with the correctly undersized #4 main bearing.
Your numbers dont mean anything until you Measure the crankshaft yourself instead of pulling numbers out of a book.

- Dan

i checked the one i have already out and the numbers are correct for the 92 engine. the 90 is still in the block.

You should be able to hold me to this, but 89-95 cranks for the SC ONLY are inter-changeable.

I found variances in the pilot bearing but AutoZone and everywhere has them in stock both ways. Just have to fig if it's a big one (about 1" in dia) or a small one (about 1/2" dia.) but also the small one sometimes come with a solid metal 'spacer' that is essentially the small bearing fitting into the big hole.

Good luck, but that's what I found during my recent crankshaft search.

You should be able to hold me to this, but 89-95 cranks for the SC ONLY are inter-changeable.

I found variances in the pilot bearing but AutoZone and everywhere has them in stock both ways. Just have to fig if it's a big one (about 1" in dia) or a small one (about 1/2" dia.) but also the small one sometimes come with a solid metal 'spacer' that is essentially the small bearing fitting into the big hole.

Sounds like that one comes with a Pilot Bushing already installed ( 89-93 used a Bushing, 94/95 used a Bearing ).

There should be 3 different Crankshafts from the SC engine, the early 89 Duracast, the 89-93, and the 94/95 has a different part number. Not saying they wont inter-change, but it is different for one reason or another.

As for the measurements on the Crankshaft .. you didnt post your actual measurements, just the specifications from the books. The specs you posted for the 92 are the same as the specs in my 94 Ford shop manual.

- Dan

main and rod bearing sizes are exactly the same for 89 through 95 SC crankshafts. Any differences will be related to balance (duracast) or engineering changes outside the scope of bearing dimensions.

If you are finding the crankshaft you have has different dimensions than the one you pulled out, either it was already ground for oversize bearings, or yours was or it is worn and needs to be ground for oversize bearings.

Jon,

The crank i sold to you came from a 93 Manual block and should have pink on the end of the crank if it hasn't already wore off....again everything should be plug and play on this, but let me know what you find.

-Tim

Jon,

The crank i sold to you came from a 93 Manual block and should have pink on the end of the crank if it hasn't already wore off....again everything should be plug and play on this, but let me know what you find.

-Tim

Tim is correct. You are jumping the gun here. The crank will work. They are all the same measurements. You need to take those Chilton Manuals and burn them. You would be better off getting specs out of a Women's Health magazine. Get a Ford Service Manual.

Last edited:
yeah ill see if everything is correct. the past week ive been busting my ~~~ doing a headgasket job on a chevy 3.1L. 9Let me tell ya they suck ~~~!! But hopefully next week i can get working on my car.

yeah ill see if everything is correct. the past week ive been busting my ~~~ doing a headgasket job on a chevy 3.1L. 9Let me tell ya they suck ~~~!! But hopefully next week i can get working on my car.
Been there done that. Gotta love the wrap around exhaust manifolds...Make sure you deck the heads...

Back