Automatic Ride Control (ARC ) Disconnect

aspedt2

My '90 SC manual with 60K original miles seems to be stuck in the firm ride position. I would prefer only to ride in the soft position. How do I disconnect the ARC so I can ride in only the soft position?

I would first try to fix the problem. But if all else fails you could manually disconnect the ARC motors on top of all of the struts. Then manually turn all of them left or right with a small screw driver. I don't know which direction is firm and which direction is soft.

I have replaced all 4 ARC motors and checked the switch, but I don't get a light on the dash and when I flip the switch. I dont see the ARC motor pin move, so I need to know what else to check?

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited:
I have replaced all 4 ARC motors and checked the switch, but I don't get a light on the dash and when I flip the switch. I dont see the ARC move when so I need to know what else to check?

Thanks,
Jerry

disconnect the ARC from the shock and see if it moves with it not connected to the shock.

disconnect the ARC from the shock and see if it moves with it not connected to the shock.

Thats what I did to check the ARC pin to see if it was moving or not. Now if i remember correctly with my old 90sc when its in firm ride it will show a green light on the dash right?

thanks for the quick reply,

Jerry

What happens when you push the brake pedal hard? does the light come on? How about flooring the car??

Could be the switch, or could be the Module??

I checked the switch I know its working fine. Since I own the car I never seen the light come on, where is the Module located?

Jerry

probably ur bulb is fused too in the cluster if it doesnt come AT ALL. It should blink if there is a problem.

update

Ok looked up in the trunk today and the wire harness to the ARC Computer wasn't bolted in all the way, As soon as turned the key I seen the green light but when I started the car the green light goes off and the switch is on firm, but when i hit the brakes and gas hard the firm light comes on for about 5 seconds then shuts off. Is this whats it suppose to do? Or should it stay firm the hole time when the switch is on? I also pulled each ARC motors off the struts and had someone hit the brakes and it did turn on for 5 sec then turned off.

Any help would be great,
Jerry

well what i would do is get another modual to test with. It sounds like yours is faulty. I remember when i drove mine when in firm ride the light was on all the time. And when in soft mine would flash 4 times telling me there is a problem with the #4 ARC motor. Possible rusted needle unsure since its in the trunk and its kinda hard for me to get back there (im 350lbs). But get another modual and start testing with that.

update

Well today I noticed that my fog lights were not working so I thought to my self, "self i bet you didn't plug in both firm ride and fog light wires when you took the center console off to check the firm ride switch" :rolleyes: Yes that's right i didn't plug the switch back in, now it works fine. The problem? The Computer harnees wasnt pust in all the way form the old owner.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

Jerry

Back