t5 in a sc

roworld

I cant beleive no one has ever put a t5 from a mustang in a supercoupe. I did the search and found nothing. I have a 90 sc with a bad m5r2 its cheaper for me to get a used t5 than it is to rebuild the m5r2. I just need a little info i.e. will the input shaft fit, will I need any adapters and so forth. There has got to be a old man on a mountain somewhere that can help me.

The torque curve of the 3.8 with the roots blowers is not good for the T5. The high torque at a very low RPM will rip it to shreds...supposedly. This was the justification for using the M5R2 ( a truck transmission) in this powertrain.

If you have your mind set on going the T5 route though, keep in mind that the shift handle would come up through the radio, so you will need to create some sort of extension or linkage. Also, since there is some overall length difference between the two transmissions you may need to get a custom driveshaft fabricated. I BELIEVE that a stock T5 input shaft will be the same, and I know that the output spline will be the same.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Last edited:
T-56

Go with a T-56. If you can get it configured correctly, get the case for an LS1 (because it's the longest) but get viper shafts (stronger) but get the main input shaft for the ford (this way you can use a OEM pilot bearing, clutch and slave cylinder)
Maybe you can get the ford "clutch adapter" as they don't have a normal bellhousing.

I believe the GTO and CTS-V are the best T56 source for an MN12 based on shifter location. I don't think the F-body or Corvette ones put the shifter nearly as far back.

The LS1 configuration puts the shifter just 1" forward of stock 5 spd.
and requires the notching of the factory 5spd console hole.
MikeH

Back