Audio question

Thin

I know there is a Audio section to post in but for some reason i can not access it but does anyone one know where to find a color chart for a 1990 XR7 prem. sound radio i need to replace this with a new one i just need to know what colors are what so i don't fry something thanks!:)

I have an entire JBL radio wiring harness, if you want to go that route....

The only wires you will have to splice are the two power antenna wires....

I've done this to two of my SCs.....

do you know the location of the Amp?

There are a maximum of two amplifiers, depending on the system installed at the factory.

The radio amp sits in the tray under the rear package shelf, inside the trunk. The sub-woofer amp sits on the sub-woofer enclosure, which is also under the rear package shelf, passenger side of the tray.

ok thanks i was looking over that link you posted and i seem to run into a snag the red wire that leads from the radio to the amp i assume is the power line i have no way off connecting this to the deck i have now and not sure what speaker wires are positive or negitive

The main harness plug for the radio system is just inside the kick panel on the passenger side just below the glove box (follow the wiring and you will find it)....

You'll be able to save yourself the pain of trying to re-wire an after market radio by getting the proper adapter that will connect the SCs OEM wiring harness to your radio harness.....:rolleyes:

I've done this with two of my SCs after spending three weeks trying to figure out which wire was which (even with an EVTM)....:mad:

You should be able to swap a harness out in about an hour.....:D

ya but as i was sayin the stock plugs are cut off all i have is the wires i have found out what they are just wonderin how to run power to the amp, i don't think the speakers will work unless the amp has power

What I am saying is you can replace the butchered part of your wiring harness with one that has the correct factory plugs on it.....

Then get the proper adapter for your radio and your good to go....:cool:

ya but as i was sayin the stock plugs are cut off all i have is the wires i have found out what they are just wonderin how to run power to the amp, i don't think the speakers will work unless the amp has power

I don't think the amp power comes through the radio (could be wrong though). The "on" signal definitely does ,though. If you look at the link KMT posted, it appears to show all the amp wiring except the power. You have 8 wires that are the positive and negative from the radio. Then there is a dark blue wire, which is called the "remote turn-on" wire. This powers up the amp when the radio comes on. This should be present on most aftermarket HUs. If your aftermarket HU does not have a remote turn-on wire, you ca probably just connect it to a switched ignition power source. I don't recall if the signal should be 5V or 12V, though, so a resistor may be in order. And the red wire shown in the lower left, running to the radio, CD, and amp is probably ground (counter-intuitive, but the ground wire attached to the radio case and CD case is red).

Last edited:
hummm

so the red wire running to the Amp from the radio is another ground? the the Yellow wire is the power? and yes my HU has a remote wire

Edit i have the premium sound without the sub there is a wire that it says runs from somewhere that is black and orange and turns to yellow is this the power and red is the ground to the amp?

Last edited:
http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/90PremiumWiring.htm

Ok, if you have the Premium and not the JBL, then you want to use the diagram above. The BK/O wire that turns to Y runs from the Power Distribution Box and is "always hot". So that is your power.

The red wire in that diagram is not really running from the amp to the radio. It's really running from the amp and the radio to a common ground. (But they are connected through the wire, so I guess you can think of it that way too.) The ground is red. (I know black is the usual ground color - and I think there is a small-gauge black ground in the radio harness - but there is also a large red ground wire attached to the case of the radio.)

Last edited:
ahh

ah i see what you mean two diff wires going to the same place so what do i do about this second ground seems odd cause the HU is grounded though the black wire and the amp is grounded through one red wire why what it seems to ground the radio a second time???

ok

im getting real sick of dealing with these wires, can someone show me the way to buy a replacement harness and a wire harness to connect to my aftermarket deck

Back