ignition problem - a bare wire!

Wags89SC

OK - got the 94 engine(long block-a lot of accesories didn't swap) put in the 91 SC. It's been running fair, but has a hard starting issue occasionally. We finally got serious about it, and changed the plug wires (motorcraft) plugs (autolite dbl plat, what a PITA that was by the way!) The car really runs good now but still has the occasional hard starting issue. It seems to be a ground issue, it has died sitting at traffic lights (then starts rite back up). The hard starting issue seems to be electrical, it turns over but wont start til it "feels: like it. Also both problems are extremely intermittent, there is no telling when it will happen as far as i can tell, although if restart is within 15 min of shutdown it seems more likely to not wanna start.
We were poking around under the hood after reading more posts, and the ignition harness (leading to the driver side dis connector) has a hinkey single wire going in and out of the harness, and has several splices. It is also "bare" as far back as I've gone in the loom, and is silver color wire, not copper. The wire is part of the group of wires that has the "foil" insulation. I am confused because the manual lists the four wires in the "foil" - y/lg, db, dg and lg but i have 5, the fifth being the bare wire. This wire also bypasses the main harness behind the dis ( meaning it is part of the loom on both sides but is hard wired instead of passing thru the connector).
The splices almost look "factory", could this have been a recall that was not done well by a dealer? Hence the bare wire being easier to pull through the loom?
Any suggestions would be great

The bare wire along with the foil, helps with the shielding of those circuits from outside electrical inerference.

heh my car just hates starting at ambient temperatures over like 70-75 Degrees..

But yah as birds4us that bare wire (and tine foil) is the shielding ground for the ignition system and is factory

this coming week the wiring is something i'm going to have to go through myself..

so its simply a shield wire? Does that mean the splices dont matter? Just seemed odd that it went outside the connector.

Back