strange water leak

JDC

Hey there guys it's been a while.I've got a 1990 SC and I've done some work on the cooling system.I took the cooling system all the way off, this includes the cooling lines from the water pump to fire wall then fire wall back to the water pump.The rad came off as well as the upper and lower hoses.When I put erverything back on I got a small leak. It doesn't run hot in fact it runs just where it suppose to.I put some of that stuff you put in your rad to see where it leaks at and the I can tell it has a small drip I mean a real small drip from the cover thats behind the damper.On a 3 day of me parking,it leaks about the size of a quarter.I don't get water in the heatercore or the oil,(dip stick).Can anybody give me any ideas? Thanks JDC

I had an interesting discussion with Lou Williams (ex-Ford Development Engineer) at Carlisle about coolant. Apparently Ford wanted to transition to the "new" extended use (yellow) coolant in 99. However all the engines being used for durability testing started developing coolant leaks. Ford had to make changes to gasket materials as well as some castings to accommodate the new stuff. It took a couple of years before they finally did get to the yellow stuff.

Lou does not run yellow coolant in any car he owns that did not come from the factory with it.

I agree...front cover leak likely....could also be dripping where you are seeing it from the thermostat housing.

on the 89 sc i had..i had a mysterious water leak some where on the front of the motor...when i took it to the shop...they found it was the water pump needed replaced.

Back