need some advise on gears for my 92 & 95 5 speed ?

BECERRASC

i would like to know what is better for my cars the 92 and 95 5 speed both are stock i would like to know what it's better to move a little quicker what do you guys think?? thanks in advance

I have a mostly stock 94 SC, I did a manual conversion, but I kept the stock auto rear 3.31. I was thinking putting a 2.73 from a 5 speed, or maybe 3.08. But after I drove a totally stock 95 5 speed, I think I like my 3.31's much better. :D

- Dan

and the 92...

yea the 95 it's cool and fast ..... but how about the 92 .... it's a bit slower even with the 95 blower ..... i have had a lot of sc but these 92 it's kinda slow ....

From what i understand, 3.08's are good for the 1/4 mile, but 3.27, (automatic SC's 89-93) are supposed to make it a really fun street car. I'm going to be putting 3.27's in my car here pretty soon (whenever I actually get it running) because I only go to track at the shootouts and spring meets in dayton ohio. So it depends on what you want really.

3.27 works nicely with the later 5-speed trans ratios, on an early car they are a bit steep in 1st and 2nd for street driving. Acceleration on the highway from 5th will be much stronger, you won't need to downshift to 4th.

Having said that, for best quarter mile times with a stock or mild engine and a 5-speed, the factory 2.73 ratio is probably the best ... that's what Bruce Burns had in his car with bolt-ons running high 12s.

cheers
Ed N.

3.27 works nicely with the later 5-speed trans ratios, on an early car they are a bit steep in 1st and 2nd for street driving. Acceleration on the highway from 5th will be much stronger, you won't need to downshift to 4th.

Having said that, for best quarter mile times with a stock or mild engine and a 5-speed, the factory 2.73 ratio is probably the best ... that's what Bruce Burns had in his car with bolt-ons running high 12s.

cheers
Ed N.

What Ed said. I run 3.31 on my '94 around town and it's a fun drive. Car responds well whenever I ask it to and if you get lazy in traffic you can maintain rpm's even in the higher gears. Doesn't require a lot of acceleration for the car to respond but you will go through gears faster.

As for the track or any high horsepower application I'll take the 3.08's in my '95 any time. But unless I call for that horsepower the car isn't as much fun around town as the other. It's an entirely different driving mentality because you can either short shift and drive comfortably in traffic or you can mash it and hold a gear longer for a high performance result.

For a stock application I would probably suggest the 3.31's. Your butt will thank you whenever you mash the gas ;)

Ira

Last edited:
Back