supercharger rebuild questions

gbabione

Has anyone done a total rebuild on supercharger. I have read some old posts that never got to a completed rebuild. I took mine apart to have bead blasted and powdercoated. How are the rotor plate seals removed without damage? I haven't seen where anyone has found a replacement for them so I am going to try to save the old ones. How about holding in the rotor plate bearings? I can have machining done if necessary. I marked both rotors so they will be lined up when reinstalled. What is the issue with timing? How is it set? I can see exactly how far the shafts were pushed out when removing from plate. It shouldn't be that hard to get them back in the correct depth. Also, how are the bearings removed for the intake butterfly? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I hope all the knowledgeable SC owners aren't gone, because I haven't got any replies from my last couple posts.

Last edited:
>I haven't got any replies from my last couple posts.

May be a hint there... Perhaps there is a reason rebuild services exist :)

A 'total' rebuild isn't something done on the kitchen table. In addition to knowing the process, there are specific tools, etc. - It isn't enough to just have a step-by-step.

Pay to have it done properly and let someone else that already knows the process sweat the details.

Trying to rebuild your supercharger is very technical and time consuming. If you do not have the expertise you are better off taking it to a knowledgeable mechanic to have it done. If you have the money you may want to just invest in a remanufactured one. I just brought a remanufactured one for PSE and I have been very satisfied with the results.

http://www.pse.us/

How are the rotor plate seals removed without damage?

I think they aren't, LOL.

I haven't seen where anyone has found a replacement for them so I am going to try to save the old ones.

They do exist - Wynn Carter figured out how to get replacements (but he disappeared from the Internet years ago). I don't have the part numbers, though. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40197&highlight=rotor+shaft+seal&page=5

How about holding in the rotor plate bearings?

Also see above linked page. Not very easy once you remove the swaged lip.

I marked both rotors so they will be lined up when reinstalled. What is the issue with timing? How is it set? I can see exactly how far the shafts were pushed out when removing from plate. It shouldn't be that hard to get them back in the correct depth.

Hmm, it can be done, but like KMT said, it's not a kitchen table sort of thing. Why not try Embree Specialty Machine's complete blower rebuilding service? It's very reasonably priced. They have a setup to do this exact thing.

Also, how are the bearings removed for the intake butterfly? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You mean the bypass shaft in the return plenum? If so, you need to remove the plate and shaft, then pull the bearings out of the blind holes. It might be easy, it might not. I would recommend getting the best puller you can, heating the aluminum a little, and then trying. If the bearing's rolled edge breaks, get out the die grinder, because it's probably stuck good and you can't get much grip without the lip.

I hope all the knowledgeable SC owners aren't gone, because I haven't got any replies from my last couple posts.

Nope, I think many of them are still here.

Thanks for the info. I have seen that post. That is actually one of the ones I was referring to that didn't tell everything at the end. It shows all the bearings and seals in a picture, but no numbers. I will try to e-mail him though. What I was also interested in was how the person came out that was machining the plate and making a hold down plate to hold the bearings in.

Back