Accumulator Question

Paulio91184

So I have a rock hard pedal, the ABS motor turns on and off so I say it's the accumulator ball. I went to replace the accumulator on my 89 SC and encountered a problem that I've never seen on any of the 5sc's i've owned. The accumulator ball has no allen key at the top. It is slightly smaller than the normal one and has a nut head at the base (under the ball at the top of the threads) that's about 20mm or so. Did someone install the wrong ball on my car?

Aftermarket Accumulators don't come with the hex key opening. You could use a strap wrench to get it off??????

Make sure you totally depressurize it 1st before trying to loosen it by pumping the brake pedal about 50 times with the key off.

I think I'm going to have to use open ended crowfoot wrenches....its very hard to get a wrench of any kind down there

Did you remove the cowling.....

You might have to climb on top of the engine and use both hands to grip the damn thing......

You might be able to get an oil filter wrench on it, as well....

Yes, definitely remove the plastic cowling. If you have one of those oil filter wrenches that swivels or looks like a big pair of pliers, they make it easier.

This type of strap wrench is handy for that type of stuff.
It allows you use a 1/2" extension and 1/2" ratchet.

Hope this helps
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0023 (Large).JPG
    PICT0023 (Large).JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 58
Had the ball replaced on mine in 02. Didn't fix the problem.
The car sat in my driveway for 7 years because I wasn't going to spend $1,500 to rebuild the ABS and I couldn't stomach selling it or scrapping it.
I swapped the entire unit out with a standard system from a crown vic.
Couldn't be happier.
There are too many parts that can fail with that ABS system.

If there is a market for a whole ABS system, I saved mine.
It weighs about 35 pounds so shipping is probably more than it is worth.

I'll upload pics if anybody is interested.

Back