Ignition Key assembly worn out?

Kurt Sunday

SCCoA Member
My SC has 180K miles - most times when I start it I have to turn the key back towards me a few mm's to get the accessories to come on.

Does anyone know what parts I need to replace? Can I still get them from the dealer?

Thanks!

Not really clear if it's the ignition tumbler that has gone bad or the ignition switch (electrical). They are both pretty easy to replace, but you need to drop the column to get at some of the ignition switch screws. The ignition switch is like a $25 part max. and is available at most parts stores. The tumbler, you may have to get from Ford or a junkyard. I would recommend trying the electrical switch first because that way you won't have to mess around with an extra key or getting the tumbler repinned to your old key (which is also possible).

My SC has 180K miles - most times when I start it I have to turn the key back towards me a few mm's to get the accessories to come on.

Does anyone know what parts I need to replace? Can I still get them from the dealer?

Thanks!

You may want to check the switch, versus just the key cylinder. The switch itself is down on the steering column, on the right side. Search here on ignition switch for loads of previous info, etc. $15.00 or so from most auto parts stores.

Last edited:
Thanks. Is the switch white plastic with brass colored contacts on it?

is79.jpg

cs96-1.jpg

They are very easy to replace.....:D

It can be done after renoving the plastic clam shell cover on the steering column.....

Youo will need a tamper proof torx bit to remove the switch......

Don't forget to put the key in and turn it to run before removing the switch.....

Back