Transplant followed with an alcohol transfusion

Rpdboss

Yep, when money is tight and power is lacking; alcohol can make over twice the HP from the same displacement. Granted that it takes 2.3 times more fuel and also is bad for aluminum and stripes any lubrication from the cylinders but hell these engines are a dime a dozen.
It all started this winter when I was having trouble with my engine. Fuel leaks, running rich later, crappy winter gas, ect.. Not to mention it sucked in the snow which then left me using it only part of the year. For a blower motor it wasn't very powerful, at least for me;).

The lucky vehicle to receive this alcohol beast is an old favorite that most people must have had in their families in the last 20 years. I can't tell you what it is till it's completed. Its light but not known for its speed or handling. I'm stuck with the stock drum brakes for now, by the way its rear wheel drive too. It seats two people but not comfortably if your legs are long. It need paint and some electrical stuff rewired but mostly intact. Shooting for a hp to lb of 1:15

I found that methanol at the local gas station is $28 per 5 gallon pail, which isn't too bad. The hard part was guessing and getting the fuel mix right.Just take the amount of fuel already delivered and increase that by 230% (via injector size alone)I already port matched every gasket and smoothed out and sharp bends and curves. This has resulted in better rpm response on gasoline so far, seems to have moved the rpm range up into the 6K-7K easier:eek: Just now sure to what speed the stock flywheel or drive line parts can hold up to. Due to a bad transmission I can NOT operate it, just rev the engine as my eyes burn from the teargas exhaust. So I removed it with everything necessary to run in the receiving vehicle. I also run a light % of fuel lube to help minimize the corrosion and friction due to loss of lubrication.

Right now I'm waiting on more parts in the mail. Theres a new low mileage 03 mustang 4r70w with spedo gear on its way from Atalanta Georgia for $292 with shipping. The blower motor is out and needing motor mounts made up, some fab work is needed to the drive line but already planned out.

I see 2 weeks as a good deadline where I can unveil the vehicle to all via videos of it going down the 1/8 local track here with pics. All I have to move it around now is a Subaru Forester but it get the job done. The ONLY person that has seen pics and gets regular updates is Tony AKA young sc ower (recently married) which I hope he contiunes to keep this classified. Might even bring it to Dayton Ohio if I cant find get another SC going in time.

Good luck. You may get everything all fitted but getting it running right on pure methanol is not only going to require major computer retuning, but extremely large injectors requiring an injector driver even not to mention a suitable fuel system.

well its not a car. Um did we miss the part where I said it runs on alcohol already? well at least not under any kind of load yet.:rolleyes:

03 low mile mustang tranny arrived

Just got it today at the end of work off a conway freight truck. Though the shifter selector lever/sensor and wire harness on the other side were crushed due to where a metal shipping band was placed:mad:. Double checked that it was indeed a 03 with the speedo gear on the tail shaft, it is:cool:. The torque converter has the pink color paint mark on it. Keep that or use new SC stock one I also have? The seller didn't drain out the fluid so it leaked all over the 3 trucks that it rode in to get to buffalo from Atlanta. Had to clean out the guys truck as it was hazardous material and I felt bad about it.

Anyone want to run a link or summary by me again as to whats needed to make it backward compatible with the 94-95 Tbird hardware and ECU?

Engine Down!!

Seems I really should have replaced my worn out rings; it let too much alcohol get into the crankcase! Upon start up after a few days of sitting it greeted me with squeaks and clanks. I Pulled out the dipstick and wiped it on a paper towel; I could make out small parts of glitter, few but enough to confirm with that clunking from the oilpan area that it's done for.
Now its a question of where to go from this point? Engine wise

The engine is on its second set of HG's
crank reground .25mm, on its 2nd set of undersized rod brearings
oil pump reads lower than I'd like. Will throw oil light when hot and turning the wheel
15% over drive MP jack/sc pulley setup. Ported SC,intake and exhaust
There are a few collapsed lifters
needs a new power steering pump

Last edited:
New idea

Prehaps for those of us who need to run richer....
Maybe a secondary shutoff switch to kill the fuel pump and or injectors to let the engine burn off and fuel to prevent the cylinders from getting washed down of oil. I think I would prefer the fuel pump shut off in the situation of a leaking injector too. Anyone use this method already?:cool:

maybe my 96 lx can drink alcohol

but I need to first know what the 3.8v6 NA has for injector # flow. Then swap the sc injectors in. Might get me to the desired ratio for a proper burn. But how long will that block hold up, what kind of power? maybe something for the shootout dyno:cool:

and mustang ones are 19Lb? the v8 ones i believe, v6 should be same as tbird ones. I'm looking for a increase of 230% more fuel to be consumed than stock. If i go with a 40% nitromethane mix I need another 5% more fuel. I think this could be done with tricking the ecu into a cold start stradigy or fuel pressure change

19lb injectors on a NA 3.8.

Why does everyone resist the idea of throwing a tune on the EEC to set things up properly?????? :rolleyes: Its not like it costs millions of dollars to implement.

Force the car into cold start strategy like your talking not only affects fuel, it affects spark as well, and affects how the transmissions functions if you're running an auto and you'll be down in power etc.

Raising the fuel pressure up high enough to give the fuel you think you need could easily end up out running the fuel pump and could lead to the injectors not being able to open at all. Remember, boost causes a rise in fuel pressure as well, so if you run 19's like your talking, then you could be seeing pressure's as high as 120psi.... There may be other reasons why the higher rail pressure is not a good idea because of their design, but thats in theory right now.

By the time you've got everything modded out to support that, you could have got yourself a proper tune for that car :rolleyes:.

And the idea of throwing your car on the dyno at the shootout just to see if the motor will stay together??? You know how pissed off alot of folks will be if you blow your motor on that dyno and make a mess of everything and shuts it down for several hours for cleanup...... just to see if it holds together!!!!!

Fraser
ps. I guess some folks are just glutton for punishment and like to take the hard way.

You can't force the car into cold start strategy. Cold start is on a timer that counts down in 30 seconds. This whole thread is retarded.

at this point is there anyone around who knows how to correct the ecc to run on methanol, on thats a obd2 at that even?:confused:

:cool::rolleyes::mad::p;):D:(:eek::):confused::eek:

I havent badmouthed..If anything I kinda said from the biginning.....Look into this a lil more will ya.

Methanol run engines that I know of (not even powerful ones) are running over a 100lb/hr injector.

The absolute only way to make this work is to put the money into getting the fuel and engine management system properly done.

If someone wants to disregard that and they have been told over and over again yet still feel there is some cheap way to trick the computer or force more fuel into the engine well I personally wouldnt know what to say about that.

Many people have treid many different thngs from twin charging to multiple turboes on the cheap and relatively easy...That in my opinion is doable even if it doesnt work all that well for them and they end up blowing there combo into a million peices due to poor tuning or lack of fuel or whatever

In this case you cant just throw in some meth and expect an engine to run let alone even run poorly. EVen if the engine itself is BUILT to run on meth you need the supporting fuel system and engine management.

You just hat eto see someoen waste thier time going in the wrong direction

A blown 3.8 runing on meth..Great..But its not going to happen experimenting....Which I think is what people are saying..Ijn a nice way or not

Time to come clean

The whole thing was more of a play on words. See I have this old craftsman "blower motor" thats a 2 stroke. You'll have to go back to my first post and read it now that you know. The SC runong on meth was a result of 5 gallons of it laying around and me bored.
The car/truck that every one should have owned was a powerwheels jeep gaucho. This thing is seroius. It has real rack and pinion steering, real dual drum brakes but made of plastic/rubber. I got the idea from a youtube video then crafted it to my needs and made it better.
My wife would disagree saying better is just another way of saying more $$ as its now rolling in at $420+ so far with more fasteners and little things are needed. The comet clutch can be limited to 50% output and engine throttle cable slackened for child use, modified stronger seat belts a must.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9104&whichpage=1 a link to all my work

Due to the now 98cc engine being only maybe 4hp after porting I decided to take things up a few notches with methanol and then to be followed by a bit richer mix of 40% nitromethane for adult track use only.

sorry for all the confusion and crappy outside the box ideas. I still like the idea of a non boosted LX running methanol but will need the sc internals to due so safely. Then somebody come up with a tune for the 96 ecu system.

Back