Broken crank bolt getting drilled<<need help>>

90_SC_T-BIRD

I have this crank bolt that will not come out with the extractor, its way to stuck. I have begun drilling starting out with 1/4 the 5/16 drill bit, i plan on going bigger as son as a break through the other side of the bolt, the problem is that i feel that i have drilled enough maybe even past the bolt somehow, but reason tells me that the forged crank will stop in my tracks.

Does any know how deep the hole in the crank is. i was thinking that the threaded hole in the crank was much deeper than the actual crank bolt, but how much, there should be some space between the crank bolt and the end of the hole in the crank. []-----> ] something like that.

If your talking about the bolt that holds the balancer on I used a left handed drill bit and mine came right out.

Travis

I don't know how far the bolt goes in the crank but I used an easy out on mine and drilled deep enough to get the easy out to catch and mine came out fine.

I have removed 3 of the broken bolts and have also used left handed drill bits. Not an easy out. As the left handed bit is cutting it works with the direction of the bolt removal - counter clockwise.

I used a small rule in my spare engine and came up with a depth of 1.75" for the bolt hole you asked about.

Later
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 120
Depending on how deep the remain of the bolt are sunk, you could try to cut a slot and use a mammoth screwdriver to turn it out.

I had the same issue with my 89. There was not an extractor made that was getting that bolt out. if you are doing this with the engine still in the car, be EXTREMELY carefull. I nicked a small section of the threads when drilling it out. no real harm done but it could have been bad. use lots of PB Blaster and a left handed drill bit, that's what got mine out in the end.

Back